Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2017 02:00

ScaleIO mirror or Scaleio DR

Hi all.

Current i have 1 scaleio system. I cannot find how to backup scaleio volume to other host or site.

How i can build a scaleio dr, copy scaleio volume to backup system, scaleio mirror.

Vipr controller can help. What i need if use VIPR controller.

Thanks.

306 Posts

June 26th, 2017 03:00

Did you consider RecoverPoint maybe?

15 Posts

June 26th, 2017 19:00

It is one.

Do you have other solution. I want comare all.

Thanks

June 27th, 2017 03:00

Hello Hoanhdo,

Your question also references mirroring. You could investigate/research provisioning ScaleIO volumes from two different ScaleIO Protection Domains to production hosts, and then using a host-based logical volume manager to mirror those volumes together (eg. a Linux LVM or Veritas VxVM which is referenced on the support matrix). Once a host based volume manager is being used to mirror across Protection Domains, then you have the basis for implementing a failover cluster (eg. RedHat, Microsoft Cluster, or Veritas Cluster Server, VCS - also referenced on the support matrix). Further options for you to consider and research further.

15 Posts

June 27th, 2017 19:00

Hi Richard_Butler.

Can you explain in detail.

Have you a solution, include sample, model or tutorial.

Thanks

June 30th, 2017 01:00

Hello Hoanhdo,

Multiple simultaneous failures within a Protection Domain can lead to data unavailability (by simultaneous, I am referring to a second component failure (eg SDS), before an earlier component failure has been resolved (eg. before an automatically triggered mirror rebuild has completed; such scenarios should be rare because rebuilds are expected to complete quickly due to the ScaleIO wide-stripe layout)). However, to mitigate against this, you could use a host-based volume manager to mirror 2 (otherwise independent) ScaleIO volumes presented/mapped from 2 separate Protection Domains.

This type of host-based mirroring is generally the basis for implementing a failover cluster technology on top; several cluster technologies are listed in the ScaleIO support matrix.

Just an option to consider researching further.

Thanks, Richard.

No Events found!