Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2016 14:00

Using multiple HCAs (IPs) for SDC in windows client?

Hello -

Building a high-performance SQL server cluster here. My specific question is - can I assign multiple IP addresses to a single SDC?

I have a 5-node ScaleIO setup that's been working fine. In there, I learnt how to configure SDS's and MDM's with multiple IPs. However, the Microsoft Windows box with SQL server on it - the one I installed SDC on - seem to be lacking options to assign multiple IPs. I have 2 Infiniband HCAs, dual port - therefore 4x infiniband - bandwidth on this box to talk to ScaleIO, but so far I can't figure a way to "team" them.

This being Mellanox HCA, the windows' default teaming to assign it a single IP doesn't work, and Mellanox's own teaming is only for failover so it doesn't add the performance - only one port is active at a time, so performance wise it doesn't do anything.

Any words of wisdom on how to make all 4 ports work together for performance? (Single windows server, single copy of SDC, 4 IPoIB ports with different IP each, cannot be teamed with Windows NIC teaming. Is there are way I can tell SDC to say, "communicate with ScaleIO on these 4 interfaces under these 4 IP addresses"?

thanks!

-Jun

306 Posts

January 10th, 2017 04:00

Hi Jun,

As Aglidic said, you simply need to configure your ScaleIO to use 4 networks (one network for each card, in most cases NIC-teaming works suboptimal comparing to native ScaleIO load-balancing) - on all your SDS', MDMs and SDCs.

Hope it helps!

Best,

Pawel

51 Posts

January 10th, 2017 04:00

Hello,

i never try it but i would say the solution is to put an IP address on each card (different network if possible), present the lun at those 4 adresses and use the windows multipathing

January 10th, 2017 19:00

100% agree with Aglidic's suggestion as to have each port on a separate network/subnet.  Here's the proof to back up his observation.  Scroll down to page 15 and it expains everything

https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h14708-scaleio-networking-best-practices.pdf

Probably should mention that I have worked with Jun for almost 2 years at my previous job and my first post was a smarta** play on recursion (he wrote the blog post in the link).  Don't want to look like too much of a punk, lol. 

No Events found!