Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2019 15:00

Can we rename the Log Insight VM in VxRail?

I want to know if it's supported to change the Log Insight VM name in any version of VxRail.  We currently have version 4.5.215.

I know there are renaming procedures in SolVe for just about every other component, but there's no mention of the Log Insight VM.  Same with the Administrator Guide.  It mentions renaming other VMs, but doesn't mention Log Inisght.

KB article 474897 for VxRail 3.x explicitly says that renaming the Log Insight VM was not supported in that version - https://support.emc.com/kb/474897

But, later, in versions 4.0.100 thru 4.0.300, support for renaming almost every component was introduced, but the docs don't say anything about the Log Insight VM.  Please let us know if renaming it is now supported.  Thanks.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2020 15:00

After posting my original message I opened an SR for the same issue.  Support consulted with back-end engineering and the response was, "EE came back and said it should be fine to rename".  Since then, I have renamed many Log Insight VMs on VxRail without problem. 

2.9K Posts

March 14th, 2019 09:00

Hello,

VXrail isn't my specialty, but I spoke with a friend of mine that works in the department. He told me that there are no SolVe procedures for changing that VM. He also said that the safe play was to not change it, if it was purchased with the cluster. If it was deployed separately, then it may be fine. Hopefully, that helps. Can I ask what you're looking to achieve in renaming it? 

2.9K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 09:00

I can certainly pass the feedback along. I'm not sure what the dev team's roadmap  looks like for the product family, or if this is already on it, but I can certainly provide this information on your behalf.

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 09:00

I can't speak to the original poster's needs, but in the environments I've had experience with, there's typically a need to have the VM inventory name match the enterprise system naming standard. This is especially useful when querying vCenter for asset management reasons as there's an expectation that VMs be referenced using corporate standards.

As a VxRail customer myself, I would ask that this requirement be considered by the VxRail engineering team. All VMs added to vCenter by VxRail should be able to be renamed, both host name and inventory name.

No Events found!