Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

April 26th, 2021 04:00

DNS and NTP

Hi all,

I have a VXRail cluster that is hosting DNS and AD server plus other services.

I plan to setup the VXRail cluster however some technician told me that in order to boot up the cluster i will need to have an external DNS and NTP server. Is this correct ?

If yes then it is like the chicken - egg problem. In order to have the DNS i need to boot my cluster and in order to boot my cluster i need the DNS first. Is this a real design from DELL ?

Thank you.

• 

6.9K Posts

April 26th, 2021 10:00

Hello taytibob,

DNS

One or more external DNS servers are required for production use (it is not required in a completely isolated environment). DNS is used for some VxRail management operations, such as importing an OVA file, which requires a FQDN for direct host access. During initial configuration, VxRail sets up the VxRail vCenter Server to resolve hostnames to the DNS server. If you are using a Customer Supplied vCenter Server, the DNS server must be correct and able to resolve all ESXi hostnames.

If you are using your corporate DNS server(s) for VxRail, be sure to add the hostnames and IP addresses for VxRail Manager, vCenter Server, Log Insight, and each ESXi host (see the naming scheme in ESXi Hostnames and IP Addresses). vMotion and vSAN IP addresses are not configured for routing by VxRail and there are no hostnames.

NTP Server

A time zone is required. It is configured on vCenter Server and each ESXi host. An NTP server is not required, but it is recommended. If you provide an NTP server, vCenter Server will be

configured to use it. If you do not provide at least one NTP server, VxRail uses the time that is set on ESXi host #1 (regardless of whether the time is correct or not).

Proxy server applies to all versions of the appliance as it is a configuration in vCenter

2 Posts

April 26th, 2021 11:00

Thank you. What should i understand from the following release notes:

it says in the 7.0.010 it is not required anymore?

VxRail 7.0.010 released

What's new in VxRail 7.0.010
VxRail 7.0.010 includes VMware vSphere 7.0.0b and security fixes, plus VxRail new features and firmware updates.

New features
VxRail 7.0.010 adds the following new features:
• Includes VMware vSphere 7.0 P01.
• Provides enhanced work flows and an API to support automation of initial cluster configuration and deployment.
• Adds usability improvements and improved error handling for initial cluster configuration and deployment.
• Supports selecting host order during initial cluster configuration and deployment, node expansion, and physical view.
• Provides ability to select and display the personality of the cluster.
• Supports as many as six VxRail nodes initial cluster configuration and deployment.
• Provides ability to provide the real-time display of information and physical view of VxRail nodes.
• Supports use of customer-supplied VDS in VxRail clusters.
• Supports active-active connections for VxRail network interfaces (NDC and PCIe NICs) with customer-supplied VDS.
Supports configuring VxRail clusters without an external DNS (during initial cluster configuration and deployment only).

• 

6.9K Posts

April 26th, 2021 14:00

Hello taytibob,

As it states in the release notes when deploying & initial configuration you don’t need an external DNS.  Once you put it in production then you will need one.  When you are deploying and configuring your system for the first time it is in an isolated environment and doesn’t need an external DNS.  Once it is going to be running outside of an isolated environment then you will need external DNS.

No Events found!