Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 26th, 2018 10:00

Does VxRail Manager support VADP (image-level) VM backups?

Hello,

I know about the file-based backup and restore procedures for the VxRail Manager VM, but I am curious if Dell EMC supports image-level (VADP) backups and restores of the VxRail Manager VM?  Specifically, using Dell EMC Avamar image-level VM backups of the VxRail Manager VM? 

Thanks,

Bill

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 27th, 2018 13:00

you can refer to other KB like KB#512087 and KB#487092.
First one can give you how to check uuid and moref id.

Second one can provide you with how to login and update DB like,

update vxrailhost set morefid='host-24' where primaryip='192.168.41.12';

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 26th, 2018 10:00

As far as i know, it works but needs us some additional steps to let VxRail manager know new UUID/MoRef ID of itself.

142 Posts

April 26th, 2018 11:00

Does anybody have details what the implications are and the fix for the UUID/MoRef?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 26th, 2018 11:00

I meant something like KB#518930.

After restore (not backup), it may cause change of uuid/Moref ID of system VMs.

In this case, it should be modified manually.

142 Posts

April 27th, 2018 07:00

Thank you Naoyuki. That is very helpful!

143 Posts

April 27th, 2018 07:00

This KB seems to refer to the case of the vCenter VM getting a new UUID.  I was referring to the VxRail Manager VM.  Is there a KB that documents the procedure to restore a VxRail Manager VM from image-level Avamar backup?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 27th, 2018 08:00

As far as i know, Dell EMC cannot test all the backup/restore solution, AVE/VDP are not exception.

I think that's why there is no KB

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 27th, 2018 09:00

I think it depends on what you mean by "support".

If you mean you just wanted to check if Dell EMC would test VxRail Manager backup/restore by VADP friendly solution like VDP/AVE, Dell EMC does not test it possibly.

On the other hand, if you mean you wanted to know if Dell EMC prohibit you from using VADP in order to backup/restore for VxRail Manager, Dell EMC does not prohibit.

Does it make sense?

143 Posts

April 27th, 2018 09:00

All of the image-level backup products use the same protocol (VMware APIs for Data Protection - i.e. VADP).  So I guess what I am asking is, does Dell support the image-level restore of the VxRail Manager from a VADP image-level backup?  Or is the "file-level" backup and restore the ONLY supported restore method?

143 Posts

April 27th, 2018 11:00

Basically I just need to know if any additional configuration is needed after a restore of a VxRail Manager.  Do we need to update a moRef or UUID anywhere?  Or is the VxRail Manager completely self-contained and a restore of the entire VM requires no additional manual config changes afterwards?  That's my main question - is any additional work needed after restoring a full image backup of the VxRail Manager, let's say from last night's backup?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 27th, 2018 12:00

I'm not sure for all additional work after restoring VxRail Manager VM but you should change uuid/MorefId value in the VxRail manager DB like those performed in KB#518930.

Actually no need to edit runtime.properties file.

If you don't edit it, you may fail upgrade vxrail in future.

143 Posts

So if we don't need to edit the runtime.properties file, are you saying that there is nothing that needs to be done after restoring the VxRail Manager VM from backup?  Just power it up and we are good to go - correct?

143 Posts

Perfect, thanks!  That's what I was looking for.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

oo..  sorry about it. you need udpate db manually to match uuid/moref id to those of the restored VxRail Manager VM

143 Posts

Can you provide the instructions for manually updating the db?  I want to make sure I have the instructions handy for when I need to perform the VxRail Manager VM restore.  THANKS!

No Events found!