Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2017 05:00

Join External vCenter to VxRail PSC

I am in the planning stage for migrating from a vSphere 6.0 cluster to a VxRail cluster which will be using using Internal VCSA with external PSC inlcuded (PSC that comes with the embedded VCSA). I have understood that there is no way to add a standalone ESXi host to the internal VCSA that comes with VxRail and do vMotion from the Standalone Host to the new cluster. What I wonder is if it is possible to join the old vCenter to the PSC which will be deployed in VxRail or is it limited in some manner like the embedded VCSA?

Has anyone faced the same issue and did you find a reasonable solution to live migrate virtual machines between an old vCenter into the embedded one?

2 Other options seem to be doing scripted migration using vSphere Power CLI or using VMware converter but this seem to be a bit troublesome in comparison.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

142 Posts

December 21st, 2017 06:00

That is correct. Using swing ESXi is one of the prefered method for migration.

Another option is shared DataStore (iSCSI/NFS) import the VM browsing the data store and storage vMotion them to the vSAN

142 Posts

December 20th, 2017 07:00

Hi C.Klint,

This statement is not correct:

I have understood that there is no way to add a standalone ESXi host to the internal VCSA that comes with VxRail and do vMotion from the Standalone Host to the new cluster.

You can add external ESXi to VxRail vCenter for migration purposes, just keep it out of VxRail cluster.

13 Posts

December 20th, 2017 08:00

Ok I must have misunderstood something. Then I assum I will be able to do vMotion from the standalone host into the cluster then?

Thank you for your input

13 Posts

December 21st, 2017 10:00

Thanks

December 23rd, 2017 14:00

Just to confirm and ensure getting it clear, we should deploy the VxRail cluster using an external vCenter, this will help to add any ESXi Host (Swing Host) to the VxRail External vCenter for migration purposes, is it right?

Using embedded vCenter which is coming with VxRail is not going to help to add any host unless it's a VxRail node, right?

13 Posts

December 26th, 2017 04:00

If you want to use the embedded vCenter appliance you can join non-VxRail hosts to this vCenter as long as you keep them out of the VxRail cluster as stated by emc_troy. I have tested and verified this.

So if you want to end up using the embedded vCenter you don't need to join the VxRail cluster to external vCenter for migration purposes.

No Events found!