Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2016 00:00

Shutdown VxRail by CLI

Hello,

How can we shutdown VxRail by CLI? Because our customer wants to do it using UPS at power outage. Is that possible?

I looked at both the product guide page 54 and the procedure page 3 but they are explaining it only by GUI.

And I can't find the way in Online Support. Otherwise can we use "poweroff" command for that? I referred to "VxRail: Failed to shut down VxRail Manager Extension(000474199)".

Best regards,

Hiroki

16 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 13:00

Hi Hiroki,

VxRail does not support scripts to shutdown the appliance. At this point the only supported procedure is the one provided in the product guide.

I forwarded your request to the product team to check if it can be added as an enhancement request.

Rieko  can you check on this as well?

Thanks

Fabio

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 5th, 2016 17:00

Hello Fabio,

I understand.

Thank you for answering.

Best regards,

Hiroki

November 13th, 2016 23:00

Hi Fabo,

Thanks for your earlier response. Have we got this feature now? Still in the documentation the same old procedure is mentioned. The problem is if sometime the customer need to manually power-off the cluster (due to power outage) and VXRAIL "cluster shutdown" option is not available (due to any alerts or issues, sometime even fault alarms as in our customers case). They don't have any other option either to power off abruptly or wait for power to go and still shutting down abruptly so what can be done in that situation. Please suggest if there is any other way we can use.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Swapnil

1 Message

November 29th, 2016 07:00

So, it looks like there is no way to shut this down if you have an impending power issue other than manually since this hasn't been updated since June ( now November ).

What is the recovery process if the whole system loses power abruptly ?

What can we look forward to ?

Is it similar to a standard SAN where caches are maintained by battery so it can recover once it has power ?

Some guidance here would be appreciated.

My system will be operational tomorrow and I had mentioned this to the implementation team a few months ago, but they never got back to me.... so I figure I'll ask here.

Thanks

60 Posts

November 29th, 2016 13:00

The VxRail Manager Web UI has provisions and a single button to power down the entire cluster. Refer to the SolVe Desktop Procedure Generator for power down procedures.

In a nutshell, you first power down all the guest VM's hosted on the cluster. You will need to leave the service VM's (VxRail Manager, VCSA, LI, ESRS and PSC up and running. Once all the Guest VM's are powered down, in VxRail Manager, select Configuration --> General, then scroll down the screen to the 'Shut Down Cluster' button. Press it, to invoke shutdown.

As previously pointed out, there are no CLI commands to support shutdown at this time.

1 Message

November 28th, 2018 09:00

Bumping this thread.... Do we have a solution yet to shutdown a VXRail cluster using UPS software? I cannot find anything on the support site or Solve.

Thanks!

No Events found!