Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2017 03:00

VXrail initial setup error

Hi i tried to run vxrail initial setup but finaly popup below error.

errors.JPG.jpg

am using dedicated HP 1950 10Gig switch for this vxrail.

i created 3 vlans.

Vlan 55 vmotion

vlan 56 vsan

vlan 32 for vmnetwork.

all interfaces tag with above vlan and last interface trunk.

this trunk port connected to the cisco switch.vlan 32 gateway cisco switch.

so  DNS server in vlan 31.but vlan 31 and 32 connectivity ok.

please help to resolve this issue.

142 Posts

September 14th, 2017 04:00

Check /var/log/marvin/tomcat/logs/marvin.log.

ssh into VxRail Manager and verify DNS accessibility:

# nslookup

server 10.10.10.Y

www.google.com

Another way:

add the DNS IP in /etc/resolv.conf

and verify it:

# nslookup google.com

If this is OK, check if the Default Gateway in JSON/VxRailManager UI is correct.

66 Posts

September 15th, 2017 00:00

log.JPG.jpgT

Thanks for your support.

what is the default password vxrail manager?

i tried

root   Passw0rd!

admin admin

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

September 15th, 2017 00:00

See EMC KB 458852 for default password.

If you cannot see KB above, you don't have right to login to VxRail Manager by SSH

142 Posts

September 15th, 2017 04:00

Point a browser to ESXi and open VxRailManager console. You should be able to login with the credentials you tried above.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

September 28th, 2017 19:00

Good to hear that

In the How To field in the SolveDesktop, you can find the procedure for changing DNS ip address for internal VCSA

Also, you can find the KB#492132

66 Posts

September 28th, 2017 19:00

HI

5,6 times tried to run initial setup but DNS unable to reach.

but dns server restart and the i tried so last moment popup "BUILD VXRAIL".am happy with this and continues.

take 45 min and without error completed this task.

after login to vcenter and i checked DNS server details.but its showing VCENTER SERVER IP.

Can we change this dens server ip to our external dns server ip?

Thanks5

66 Posts

September 28th, 2017 22:00

I need to totaly down internal VC DNS and add to my external DNS server.because my internal vcenter dns FQDN and my external DNS FQDN same.

thanks

5 Posts

September 29th, 2017 04:00

When using embedded vCenter, the ESXi servers will point the DNS to vCenter. It is not supported to change that.

Br.

September 29th, 2017 06:00

ne1.png

Hello ajacobsen,

So what you are saying is that when you look at the web client for the hosts within the VxRail Cluster, the DNS IP address should actually be the IP address of the Vcenter Server and NOT the actual DNS IP address?

5 Posts

September 29th, 2017 07:00

Yes. Correct. If you need to change the dns server(s) specified during installation, you have to change it on the vcsa, there is a KB on that.

Br.

September 29th, 2017 08:00

Ok, thanks.  But the DNS Server I gave during the Initial Installation is the actual DNS server and not the VCenter server.

I am just wondering why the hosts wants its DNS IP address to be the VCenter server IP address and not the actual DNS server that I instructed it to be during the installation of VxRail?

5 Posts

September 29th, 2017 10:00

Are you using internal or external vcenter server ? If using external, the esx servers will point to the one specified during installation. Internal vcenter they will point to the vcsa. That is by design. The vcsa will forward requests to the dns specified during installation.

Br.

1 Message

September 29th, 2017 13:00

If I have understood correctly this is happening during the validation before deployment completes.

Have you modified the VM Network and Management port group VLAN ID's on the esxi hosts. They are set to VLAN 0 by default  but your DNS is sitting on VLAN 31 so the discovery will fail unless either the default VLAN of the network is 31 or the management and  network are port groups are modified and tag packets with VLAN 31.

I don't have the command to hand but a quick google should find it.

September 29th, 2017 13:00

Thanks ajacobsen...internal vcenter.  I noticed that the vcenter server IP address was set as the hosts DNS name in the Web Client and thought that was some kind of an error so I put the actual DNS IP address in there like I am used to seeing on VMware hosts.  I guess I will have to change it back on the hosts.

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 00:00

You can change det vlan for management before doing the setup. there is a kb on that. you need to use the DCUI and logon an run a few conmmands an restart the loudmouth service.

Br.

No Events found!