Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: VXrail initial setup error

Yes. Correct. If you need to change the dns server(s) specified during installation, you have to change it on the vcsa, there is a KB on that.

Br.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Ok, thanks.  But the DNS Server I gave during the Initial Installation is the actual DNS server and not the VCenter server.

I am just wondering why the hosts wants its DNS IP address to be the VCenter server IP address and not the actual DNS server that I instructed it to be during the installation of VxRail?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Are you using internal or external vcenter server ? If using external, the esx servers will point to the one specified during installation. Internal vcenter they will point to the vcsa. That is by design. The vcsa will forward requests to the dns specified during installation.

Br.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks ajacobsen...internal vcenter.  I noticed that the vcenter server IP address was set as the hosts DNS name in the Web Client and thought that was some kind of an error so I put the actual DNS IP address in there like I am used to seeing on VMware hosts.  I guess I will have to change it back on the hosts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

If I have understood correctly this is happening during the validation before deployment completes.

Have you modified the VM Network and Management port group VLAN ID's on the esxi hosts. They are set to VLAN 0 by default  but your DNS is sitting on VLAN 31 so the discovery will fail unless either the default VLAN of the network is 31 or the management and  network are port groups are modified and tag packets with VLAN 31.

I don't have the command to hand but a quick google should find it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

You can change det vlan for management before doing the setup. there is a kb on that. you need to use the DCUI and logon an run a few conmmands an restart the loudmouth service.

Br.

0 Kudos