Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2016 13:00

VxRail Manager, push events/alerts to external monitoring system, external syslog server

We have a VxRail platform that we are using BMC Patrol to monitor the vCenter appliance. We are pushing all ESXi host syslogs and vCenter syslogs to an external syslog server that then feeds SPLUNK.

I am looking for documentation that tells me how I might be able to push the critical and error events logged by the VxRail Manager appliance and viewable in the VxRail Manager GUI to a central monitoring system.

Also looking for how to configure VxRail Manager to push its syslogs to an external syslog server.

Any pointers greatly appreciated

Thanks, Jim

December 16th, 2016 08:00

Jim:

Most key alerts are pushed out through vSphere/vCenter - are there specific alerts you are looking for?

Colin

35 Posts

December 16th, 2016 09:00

I don't know what specific alerts we would be looking for.. As we have not seen them all I am sure.

All of our infrastructure is monitored with a combination of BMC Patrol, Logic Monitor, and all syslogs are pushed to a Balabit syslog-ng server, which then pushes all syslog data out to the SPLUNK cloud.

I would like to be able to tie VxRail Manager into this mix. The team that monitors the infrastructure do not log into the individual element managers on a daily basis to see if there are issues going on. We need to get the VXRail events/alerts and syslogs out to tools that they are paying attention to.

35 Posts

December 30th, 2016 08:00

Is there no further guidance on this topic??  How do I best get help with this?  Support ticket??

1 Message

January 5th, 2017 11:00

Jim,

Please refer to KB article 493889: VxRail: Best practice to set up external logging server for VxRail 4.0.1

Thanks,

Chris

35 Posts

January 5th, 2017 14:00

We are getting warmer.. That article describes how to validate that your external syslog server is working..

I need the detailed instructions for how to execute Step # 2 in the KB article

I have searched within the EMC support site,  and I am coming up empty

Thanks, Jim

2 Posts

June 12th, 2017 05:00

Did you ever get this sorted? We need SNMP traps, mail or nagios. Even some PowerCLI scripts to monitor for critical events would be helpful.

No Events found!