Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2016 12:00

VxRail SFP+ partnumber

Hello Experts,

We have a lot of questions on SFP+ Part number to be ordered from Myquotes for VxRail. My quotes gives INSTLKIT-10GE-SFP+ . However the BOM for this doesn't specify whether it includes the SFP+.Can somebody please help us clear this doubt?

Thanks,

Virender Singh

March 10th, 2016 12:00

It does not specify them becuase they are not included – VxRail does not ship with SFP+ cables – they are specific to each switch type and are best provided separately so that they match.  They should come with the switch or from the switch vendor.

64 Posts

April 12th, 2016 01:00

About SFP+ of intel Guide

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-brief/ethernet-sfp-optics-brief.pdf

Model "SIO-NETCONNECT-003" SFP+ transceiver for ScaleIO by Intel on MyQuotes. Can I use this SFP+ transceiver to 10GBASE-SR on VxRail?

MODEL:SIO-NETCONNECT-003

NAME:SIO Intel Ethernet SFP+ SR Optics

PRICE:65,200.00

20 Posts

April 12th, 2016 05:00

You may want to consider TwinAx as well.  VxRail supports Cisco TwinAx and the price is lower.

Cisco SFPs can be up to $1000 list for one.

TwinAx is usually a few hundred list.

20 Posts

April 12th, 2016 08:00

I should also note that if you're using Cisco Tor switches, you want Cisco SFPs on that end, and Intel SFPs on the VxRail end.  VxRail does not like Cisco SFPs because they contain Intel 10gb cards.

18 Posts

April 13th, 2016 08:00

Can you provide any reference for this?  I haven't read anywhere in the installation guides etc where they recommend any specific type of SFP due to the type of cards.

20 Posts

April 13th, 2016 09:00

VxRail uses Intel 10gb cards.

• Intel® Ethernet SFP SR Optics and Intel® Ethernet SFP LR Optics are the only 10-Gbps optical modules supported. These modules can be purchased separately.
  • Other brands of SFP (10 Gbps) modules are not allowed and cannot be used with these adapters.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/000005528.html

18 Posts

April 14th, 2016 05:00

Interesting.  I wish this was in the documentation as I just about ordered all Cisco modules yesterday. 

20 Posts

April 14th, 2016 05:00

Yeah, we found out the hard way when we did a POC and the ESXi hypervisors had errors/PSODs stating the Intel cards were not supported.  We took the Cisco SFPs out of the VxRail nodes and popped in the Intel SFPs and the setup worked flawlessly.  

Just to reiterate, Cisco SFPs on the Cisco TOR switches, Intel SFPs on the VxRail and you're good to go.

Or use Cisco TwinAx.  I've worked with a VSB/VxRail field installer and he said TwinAx is a pretty common setup (and most cost effective). 

Just another note, you can now add in Brocade switches when configuring/ordering VxRail in MyQuotes which gives you more of a complete option.  

1 Message

April 14th, 2016 22:00

Would like to know more please, I have a similar situation about to unfold.

What are your contact details?

Regards,

Jean-Paul Rivet

EMC CP, VCE

64 Posts

April 15th, 2016 03:00

Thank you, all.

I understand that I can use "SIO Intel Ethernet SFP+ SR Optics" for VxRail.

18 Posts

April 15th, 2016 06:00

I confirmed yesterday with EMC and VCE that the part number is SIO-NETCONNECT-003  which is Intel Ethernet SFP+ SR Optics.

Hopefully EMC/VCE adds this to the documentation as it seems to be the only SFP connectivity option.

20 Posts

April 15th, 2016 07:00

Sure send me a PM on what you're looking to do.

18 Posts

April 20th, 2016 06:00

My coworkers in HK were told SIO-NETCONNECT-003 is a US only sku and not available in HK.  Do you happen to know what sku to use in HK?

64 Posts

April 20th, 2016 08:00

No, SIO-NETCONNECT-003 is in JAPAN

4 Operator

• 

877 Posts

April 26th, 2016 18:00

Hi,

I I found the update the "VCE VXRAIL APPLIANCE Ordering and Licensing Guide" Rev 1.2.

https://support.emc.com/docu62876

It was updated in April 21.

Added described in page 16,

----

The SC (short-range) Intel optic, compatible for the VxRail side, can be ordered by using the SIO’s model number in the MyQuotes catalog. Model number: SIO-NETCONNECT-003

----

No Events found!