Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1, 100% disk usage, Windows 10

Hi Team,

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1 model laptop running with Microsoft Windows 10 Home OS and from the moment it has been started, I have been observing extremely slow performance issue being caused by 100% disk usage showing in "Task Manager".

There isn't anything being installed on the system yet, and still its taking ages to open any utility window (task manager, system properties etc.) with really poor performance. I am continuously observing 100% Disk usage without even running anything. This doesn't seems to be an healthy scenario.

I am already done through diagnostics test rub and clean boot, however nothing has helped me.
Kindly assist as this laptop is completely unusable for me.

Thanks,
Saurabh

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 4th, 2017 09:00

Please watch Dell video in the link below, hopefully it will be a help to you:

1 Message

August 20th, 2017 07:00

I have the exact same laptop and the same problem. I watched the video and tried the suggestions their along with many others.

No change.

Is anybody from Dell monitoring this forum? It is frustrating to have a brand new computer that is essentially unusable.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 20th, 2017 11:00

Anytime you are having performance problems, especially disk usage, you need to use the Resource Monitor which can be opened from the Task Manager or resmon.exe.

If it is disk usage, select that tab.  Set the usage column up so the highest usage is at the top.  Put a checkmark in the box on the left to filter by that process and look at the windows below.  What is using the drive?

1 Message

September 30th, 2017 00:00

I am really fed up of this new Dell 5378 laptop disk usage thing. It seems i am using a celeron processor. I have seen tutorials and videos but there is no remedy. My friend bought a ditto configuration laptop from HP. It works in flash of a second. This is my 4th laptop from dell but i have made up my mind now on there is no point in buying dell when it cannot perform basic functions. It is irritating...Fed up big time

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 04:00

First check your build of Windows 10. Press [Windows] and [ r ] and type in msinfo32 and press [Enter]. The build should be 10.0.15063 Build 15063 (Version 1703). The 100 % disc usage was more prone on older builds. If you have Build 10.0.14393 Build 14393 (Version 1607), Build 10.0.10586 (Version 1511) or Build 10.0.10240 (Version 1507) you should update to the latest build by launching the Update .exe here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

Sometimes the issue is due to some outdated drivers. Have you tried installing the newest version of?

Intel Management Engine Interface:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26135/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i3RY-NUC5i5RY-NUC5i7RY-NUC5i3MY 

Launch the setup from the ME_SW_MSI folder.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27147/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 

If the latest driver from Intel doesn't work on your system. Right click the start button and select Device Manager. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and tell me whats listed. Right click the device and select properties and the select the Details tab. Under property select Hardware IDs and let me know what they are.

Also sometimes in Windows 10 notifications cause 100 % Disc Usage. Right click the start button and select settings. Then select system. Then select notifications and actions. Turn every setting here to off.

October 31st, 2017 18:00

I have tried everything you said

My laptop is still not fixed

Please who can help me please

Will be glad

I need help.guys

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 1st, 2017 15:00

I have tried everything you said

My laptop is still not fixed

Please who can help me please

Will be glad

I need help.guys

This is an old post now. There is a new build of Windows 10 out Version 1709. Press the [Windows] + [ r ] and type in msinfo32 and press [Enter]. Let me know the OS Name, if the version is 10.0.16299 Build 16299, BIOS Version/Date, SMBIOS, BIOS Mode and Secure Boot State.

Also right click the start button and select Device Manager. Then expand IDE ATA/ATAPA controllers. Let me know whats listed. Right click the devices and select properties and then select the details tab and provide the hardware IDs.

16 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 05:00

One of these methods might resolve your issue. Please follow::

Method 1::

Disable or Delay Start the Windows Services

If you seldom use such Windows services, it is better to disable them and fix the 100% disk usage.

1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to launch Run.

2. Type services.msc and press the Enter.

3. Locate to the Superfetch.

4. Double click the Superfetch service for Properties.

5. Select Automatic (Delay Start) from the drop-down menu of Startup type.

6. Double click the HomeGroup Listener, the HomeGroup Provider and the Windows Search.

Select Disable from the drop-down menu of Startup type. 

Method 2::

Disable Message Signaled Interrupt Mode in the Registry

You can still solve the high disk size problem via disabling the mode:

1. Go to the Device Manager and make sure there's the inbox AHCI driver, storahci.sys, in Driver Details of the Standard SATA AHCI Controller Properties.

2. Go to the Details tab and select Device Instance Path from the drop-down menu of the Property.

1. Check the value and copy it with the right-click. For example, we have the value: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_08061025&REV_04\3&11583659&0&FA.

2. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to launch the Run.

3. Type regedit and press the Enter.

4. In the Registry Editor, follow the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\Value\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties

(Note: Value refers to the Device Instance Path you copied in step 3.)

1. Double click the MSISupported on the right side.

2. Change the Value data to 0.

3. Click OK.

4. Restart the computer to make the change take effect.  After that, the Windows 10 100% disk usage or the high memory/CPU usage problem will never get on your nerves anymore.

Note: To avoid some serious system issues, don’t forget to backup the Registry before the modification.

Method 3::

Update AHCI Driver to Fix 100% Disk Usage after the Windows 10 Creators Update Outdated or missing Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) driver can result in 100% disk usage after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update/Creators Update. So you need to update the AHCI driver. Here’s how:

1. Click the Scan to detect outdated AHCI drivers on the computer. 
  2. Click Update to download and install proper AHCI driver. 
  3. Reboot to make the driver changes take effect.

1 Message

January 15th, 2018 10:00

Hey, I have had this same issue for months now. I have tried almost everything.

I bought a Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming from Dell. System SKU is 0798.

The OS name is "Microsoft Windows 10 Home"

Version is "10.0.16299 Build 16299"

BIOS Version/Date "Dell Inc. 1.2.0, 2017-10-06"

SMBIOS Version "3.0"

BIOS Mode "UEFI"

Secure Boot State is "On"

Also, there is no IDE ATA/ATAPA controllers. I only have Storage controllers. Those are "Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCle RST Premium Controller" and "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller"

The first set of hardware IDS is:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_07981028&REV_31
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&SUBSYS_07981028
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104

The second just says "Root\Space port"

January 20th, 2018 11:00

I've got the latest version of everything, 100% updated. I'm still having this issue too. I want to throw this laptop out the **bleep** window. What is left to do otherwise?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 20th, 2018 15:00

Anyone having this problem should have now gone into the Resource Monitor to find out why the drive was running.

We need that info so we can help.  If you do not understand what I am requesting, then ask.

1 Message

February 7th, 2018 11:00

I have been having the same problem, I just ordered a new hard drive to see if that fixes anything. I will update this and tell you guys if it fixed the problem.

Noah,

2 Posts

February 8th, 2018 06:00

I with your 15 3000 series just opened from the box and I have the same problem. From the Resource Monitor I noticed that 100% disk use is also had when the R / W Flow is 3 MB / S so I exclude the cause of excessive use

February 11th, 2018 07:00

I lived with this ridiculous issue for one year with my Dell inspiron 5000 2n1 laptop with windows 10 Home version purchased Feb 2017. Did all the suggestions listed in multiple forum with no positive result. Then I finally stumbled on the problem & solution:

Problem: "Dell Cleanup" was set from from factory to start/run every time the OS wakes up. This setting triggered a defrag hard drive maintenance routine! **bleep***#!....Really? 

Solution: Disable 'Dell Cleanup' in Task Scheduler.

Do this: Use Cortina & Search "Task Scheduler". Open the app, select Dell Cleanup, Click "Diable" under the selected items list. Then close the app and restart.

Boom! all is now well for this device.

1 Message

February 28th, 2018 10:00

I tried everything in here and more suggestions I found on other sites, but nothing worked.

The problem for me was Google Chrome (63.0.2329). When I started Chrome, disk usage went up to 100% and stayed there. When I "quit" Chrome, there were still 1-3 Chrome tasks in the Task Manager. When I quit those processes, disk usage fell to 3-5% and stayed there. I was able to repeat this process.

I updated to Chrome 64.0.xxxx and also changed the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" setting.

The problem no longer occurs.

No Events found!