Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1, 100% disk usage, Windows 10

Hi Team,

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1 model laptop running with Microsoft Windows 10 Home OS and from the moment it has been started, I have been observing extremely slow performance issue being caused by 100% disk usage showing in "Task Manager".

There isn't anything being installed on the system yet, and still its taking ages to open any utility window (task manager, system properties etc.) with really poor performance. I am continuously observing 100% Disk usage without even running anything. This doesn't seems to be an healthy scenario.

I am already done through diagnostics test rub and clean boot, however nothing has helped me.
Kindly assist as this laptop is completely unusable for me.

Thanks,
Saurabh

8 Posts

April 16th, 2018 03:00

yes my version is 10.0.16299 Build 16299

#ineedhelp

#despirately

April 19th, 2018 22:00

Thats not good. Please back up everything onto a USB stick or in the cloud, and then format your PC using Windows 10s built in tool. To get started, hit  and R at the same time. Type Settings. There, select update and security. Reset this PC. Then follow the prompts.

I hope this helped you.

I am just a Dell fan who likes helping out on the forums. I do not work for Dell.

5 Posts

April 24th, 2018 02:00

Open Command Prompt (CMD), type the following command and press Enter.

msdt.exe / id PerformanceDiagnostic

This command code can help users adjust the settings to improve operating system speed and performance. You can also search for service applications that do not run successfully at boot. You can use Task Manager to find out. Suppose you have an IDM app but IDM service does not run when the computer is turned on, and happens even if your computer has rebooted several times then it can be ascertained your application is corrupt or damaged. To fix it simply reinstall the application and update the application to avoid damage. Usually damaged due to obsolescence is not updated regularly.

Why does this affect Disk Usage? Because basically Windows when booting, Windows runs all applications and its services on your computer hard drive to run all. Because there is an application service file that fails to run at boot time because it is broken even if only one, then Windows will force the service file to run (even though the file services application is broken / can not run) so Disk Usage becomes 100% .

May 28th, 2018 06:00

i could not find Dell CleanUp. I could only find Dell Support assist. Help

2 Posts

August 4th, 2018 07:00

I'm experiencing this absurd Dell Inspiron laptop and Win 10 Home 100% disk usage also. I'll try everything posted in the topic so far and reply if anything solves the problem or I figure it out.

To me it seems like it may be a hardware/driver issue or Dell software issue on these Dell Inspiron laptops, especially since it happens to brand new Inspiron laptops and because the disk usage is at 100% even when the transfer rate is less than 3MB/s with only common windows services and apps running.

My prime suspect is the Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller and likely a conflicting Dell driver, hardware or software.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 4th, 2018 08:00

It is always good practice to give your complete model number, which includes the 4 digits for unit specific.

Some systems will not show an Intel SATA/PCIe Premium controller instead of the older one if they have an M.2 drive.

Otherwise, you can check Task Manager or the Resource Monitor to see if you can track down what is happening.  There are times on all systems where the processor runs at high utilization rates and fast speeds.  But you may have a different situation.

August 4th, 2018 09:00

Same 100% disk use problem, have had it for about the year I’ve had this machine.  Trying everything here hasn’t stopped it...what is the list of info the gurus need here to best help?

Sorry, not super savvy...I know a little, but some of the things here are Greek to me.

August 4th, 2018 10:00

Update - 100% disc usage came back.

The improvement only lasted a day or two then been back to 100% disc usage for 30 min+ every time it wakes up from sleep mode or after restarting. Just implemented the controller regedit change value to "0" suggestion but no improvement.

Still hoping for a solution.

1 Message

August 12th, 2018 11:00

I have found for me that this issue is caused on PCs and laptops without SSDs for their OS. 

My fix:

Completely disconnect from all networks. Go to C:/windows/softwaredistribution/download and delete everything in the folder. This is where windows stores the updates it downloads. By deleting them it will trigger windows to redownload them again. Reboot your PC after the folder is empty and reconnect to your network. Open start menu and search "Update" and click Windows Update.  Let everything redownload and install(this will take a few minutes, just let it run) when you get the prompt to restart, do so. After the restart this should resolve your issue until the next bad update download. This happens entirely too frequently and unfortunately hasnt been fixed yet. I still have to do this once or twice a month but this is the cause for me. Happens only on PCs without an SSD so far for me

1 Message

August 16th, 2018 11:00

This worked for me! Thanks.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2018 01:00

Is your computer already fixed? I have the same problem.

1 Message

October 10th, 2018 23:00

I have the exact same issue! Such an expensive laptop and when I call the centre they say to buy additional warranty as initially doesn’t cover any software warranty. It’s horrible. Super slow. Nothing installed on it yet.

1 Message

November 6th, 2018 07:00

i have a 5570 with 1GB HDD,  8GB RAM.I had the same problem with poor performance across the board.  I had Dell support people logging in and making changes which had no effect. Eventually the whole unit was sent back for repair in Germany and it is now back and working very well (so far). the only information that I had was that there was no hardware issue but there was an operating system issue. I have no more information at this time. I have asked Dell for more information. I will come back if I get anything sensible back from Dell.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2018 10:00

Try to clean the cache and check for viruses.

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 05:00

The Solution is to throw your Dell in trash, because you'll never fix this problem

After spending at least 30 hours trying every solution on the web, and I mean every issue from setting policies, updating 20 drivers, and disabling every vital windows feature.   

Yet Dell support had the GALL to tell me "We know the problem but we don't support Windows, so pay us $200+ for a premium support contract and we'll fix it for you," He never said how (and I doubt he knew or he would have at least stated the source of the problem, if not the fix).

I was just outraged, and I will never buy another Del product, ever. I suggest that anyone reading this not do that either. Most sensible people buy computers expecting their computers to run the most popular operating system in the world without issues  this terrible (it takes at least 15 minutes after boot-up for my machine to be usable at all). We don't expect a problem ONLY they seem to have, to be blamed on Windows, and then try to charge us to fix it.  I even escalated this problem two levels, and some lovely people in India informed me where was nothing  they could do unless I paid for the premium warranty (over my dead body). But of course, they have sent me 5 (and counting) emails asking me for  my feedback about their support).

Again, there is no solution to this problem except buying a new computer, so don't waste your time trying

Stay tuned for some Dell sysop to tell me he'd be  happy to help me (but I assure you, he or she can't).

Save yourselves.  If you can still return it, do it.

No Events found!