Dave Dave
1 Nickel

RE: 100% Disk usage in new laptop running Windows 10

I've got the latest version of everything, 100% updated. I'm still having this<Substitute character removed>issue too. I want to throw this laptop out the **bleep** window. What is left to do otherwise?

Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Anyone having this problem should have now gone into the Resource Monitor to find out why the drive was running.

We need that info so we can help.  If you do not understand what I am requesting, then ask.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Nouhzarc
1 Copper

Re: 100% Disk usage in new laptop running Windows 10

I have been having the same problem, I just ordered a new hard drive to see if that fixes anything. I will update this and tell you guys if it fixed the problem.

Noah,

0 Kudos
loryo2008
1 Copper

I with your 15 3000 series just opened from the box and I have the same problem. From the Resource Monitor I noticed that 100% disk use is also had when the R / W Flow is 3 MB / S so I exclude the cause of excessive use

0 Kudos
jarthuryoung
1 Copper

I lived with this ridiculous issue for one year with my Dell inspiron 5000 2n1 laptop with windows 10 Home version purchased Feb 2017. Did all the suggestions listed in multiple forum with no positive result. Then I finally stumbled on the problem & solution:

Problem: "Dell Cleanup" was set from from factory to start/run every time the OS wakes up. This setting triggered a defrag hard drive maintenance routine! **bleep***#!....Really? 

Solution: Disable 'Dell Cleanup' in Task Scheduler.

Do this: Use Cortina & Search "Task Scheduler". Open the app, select Dell Cleanup, Click "Diable" under the selected items list. Then close the app and restart.

Boom! all is now well for this device.

0 Kudos
heewhack
1 Copper

I tried everything in here and more suggestions I found on other sites, but nothing worked.

The problem for me was Google Chrome (63.0.2329). When I started Chrome, disk usage went up to 100% and stayed there. When I "quit" Chrome, there were still 1-3 Chrome tasks in the Task Manager. When I quit those processes, disk usage fell to 3-5% and stayed there. I was able to repeat this process.

I updated to Chrome 64.0.xxxx and also changed the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" setting.

The problem no longer occurs.

0 Kudos
abdul3365
1 Nickel

yes my version is 10.0.16299 Build 16299

#ineedhelp

#despirately

0 Kudos
Alex Wilhelm
1 Nickel

Thats not good. Please back up everything onto a USB stick or in the cloud, and then format your PC using Windows 10s built in tool. To get started, hit  and R at the same time. Type Settings. There, select update and security. Reset this PC. Then follow the prompts.

I hope this helped you.

I am just a Dell fan who likes helping out on the forums. I do not work for Dell.

0 Kudos
ronie82
1 Copper

Open Command Prompt (CMD), type the following command and press Enter.

msdt.exe / id PerformanceDiagnostic

This command code can help users adjust the settings to improve operating system speed and performance. You can also search for service applications that do not run successfully at boot. You can use Task Manager to find out. Suppose you have an IDM app but IDM service does not run when the computer is turned on, and happens even if your computer has rebooted several times then it can be ascertained your application is corrupt or damaged. To fix it simply reinstall the application and update the application to avoid damage. Usually damaged due to obsolescence is not updated regularly.

Why does this affect Disk Usage? Because basically Windows when booting, Windows runs all applications and its services on your computer hard drive to run all. Because there is an application service file that fails to run at boot time because it is broken even if only one, then Windows will force the service file to run (even though the file services application is broken / can not run) so Disk Usage becomes 100% .

0 Kudos

i could not find Dell CleanUp. I could only find Dell Support assist. Help

0 Kudos