delluo
1 Copper

Re: 100% Disk usage in new laptop running Windows 10

I'm experiencing this absurd Dell Inspiron laptop and Win 10 Home 100% disk usage also. I'll try everything posted in the topic so far and reply if anything solves the problem or I figure it out.

To me it seems like it may be a hardware/driver issue or Dell software issue on these Dell Inspiron laptops, especially since it happens to brand new Inspiron laptops and because the disk usage is at 100% even when the transfer rate is less than 3MB/s with only common windows services and apps running.

My prime suspect is the Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller and likely a conflicting Dell driver, hardware or software.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

It is always good practice to give your complete model number, which includes the 4 digits for unit specific.

Some systems will not show an Intel SATA/PCIe Premium controller instead of the older one if they have an M.2 drive.

Otherwise, you can check Task Manager or the Resource Monitor to see if you can track down what is happening.  There are times on all systems where the processor runs at high utilization rates and fast speeds.  But you may have a different situation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos

Same 100% disk use problem, have had it for about the year I’ve had this machine.  Trying everything here hasn’t stopped it...what is the list of info the gurus need here to best help?

Sorry, not super savvy...I know a little, but some of the things here are Greek to me.

0 Kudos
jarthuryoung
1 Copper

Update - 100% disc usage came back.

The improvement only lasted a day or two then been back to 100% disc usage for 30 min+ every time it wakes up from sleep mode or after restarting. Just implemented the controller regedit change value to "0" suggestion but no improvement.

Still hoping for a solution.

0 Kudos
Pavilon
1 Copper

I have found for me that this issue is caused on PCs and laptops without SSDs for their OS. 

My fix:

Completely disconnect from all networks. Go to C:/windows/softwaredistribution/download and delete everything in the folder. This is where windows stores the updates it downloads. By deleting them it will trigger windows to redownload them again. Reboot your PC after the folder is empty and reconnect to your network. Open start menu and search "Update" and click Windows Update.  Let everything redownload and install(this will take a few minutes, just let it run) when you get the prompt to restart, do so. After the restart this should resolve your issue until the next bad update download. This happens entirely too frequently and unfortunately hasnt been fixed yet. I still have to do this once or twice a month but this is the cause for me. Happens only on PCs without an SSD so far for me

duduBaiao
1 Copper

This worked for me! Thanks.

0 Kudos
Rap17
1 Copper

RE: 100% Disk usage in new laptop running Windows 10

Is your computer already fixed? I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Javeria
1 Copper

I have the exact same issue! Such an expensive laptop and when I call the centre they say to buy additional warranty as initially doesn’t cover any software warranty. It’s horrible. Super slow. Nothing installed on it yet.
0 Kudos
G-Mannin
1 Copper

i have a 5570 with 1GB HDD,  8GB RAM.I had the same problem with poor performance across the board.  I had Dell support people logging in and making changes which had no effect. Eventually the whole unit was sent back for repair in Germany and it is now back and working very well (so far). the only information that I had was that there was no hardware issue but there was an operating system issue. I have no more information at this time. I have asked Dell for more information. I will come back if I get anything sensible back from Dell.

0 Kudos
PetrPesk
1 Nickel

Try to clean the cache and check for viruses.

0 Kudos