Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2015 17:00

After reserving and Win10 downloaded to MS Update Question?

How long do I have until I have to install it ? Can I wait for a while? Thanks, Chi Ed

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 30th, 2015 17:00

It's a free upgrade from Win 7 or 8 (8.1) for the first year, so you probably can wait until next July...unless MS changes their mind... :emotion-4:

27 Posts

August 5th, 2015 07:00

As said in another reply, you have a year to take the free upgrade.

You will probably get pop up messages reminding you that it is ready for installing, but it seems you can just ignore these for now.

I didn't reserve W10 yet, only a week after release I am starting to get pop ups encouraging me to download it.

I am waiting until I am confident my antivirus will work (there is a firewall issue), and the early glitches have been ironed out. I can't see that it will hurt to wait 2 or 3 months or even more, but make sure you give yourself a reminder so you don't miss out.

Browsing this forum and others (I recommend www.tenforums.com) shows how many people are having challenges with the upgrade. But you can use that waiting time to learn and prepare for your own upgrade. The people on tenforums have been using the Windows 10 Preview (so have I on a Virtual Machine) and already have lots of experience of the OS and have dealt with many of the issues people are experiencing.

When you finally decide to go for it, do some research first to make sure your computer is ready, and make sure you follow the instructions to UPGRADE, either via Windows Update or using the Media Creation Tool so you get an activated installation. After that you can do a clean install if you want to, but don't try to install the software before upgrading, or it won't activate.

AND most important: make a back-up of your system first, just in case things don't work out.

No Events found!