Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2019 21:00

Audio Popping Problem with RealTek Driver

So just a few days ago I got a new Dell XPS 13 and downloaded all the latest drivers and updates and soon after doing this I noticed a popping noise coming from the right speaker when audio played. The noise would stop about 10s after audio stops playing. I quickly figured out that the noise was a result of the RealTek audio driver that was downloaded in the updates.
It took me a long time to figure out how to revert back to the native audio driver in windows and uninstall RealTek for good so I no longer heard the noise. Before this I also tried downloading older versions of the Realtek software but they also caused the popping noise. Is there any way to know if this problem with the Realtek driver is specific to my computer or is it some sort of software bug that’ll hopefully be sorted in a future update? I would really hate to have to ensure I avoid downloading the driver for as long as I have this computer.

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 20:00

My PC is a 3 week old Dell Vostro 5590 w/Realtek Audio.  Up to this point no published solution worked for me however this solution did (Dec-2019).

1) Removed 'SmartBytes' software from Apps & Features 

2) Upgrade BIOS to latest version via Dell support site 

3) Upgraded the Realtek drivers to latest version via Dell support site

4) Modified the power management settings for the 'RealTek Audio' via Windows registry (regedit.exe).  Its a good idea to record or backup the default values before making changes below. 

a) Navigate to the class path for Audio settings (this is the parent path) 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

b) Locate the specific class registry key for 'RealTek Audio' > In my case it was this 0011 (you can verify this by the 'DriverDesc' value = Realtek Audio)

Path should now be  = Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0011 (or whatever your class 00## is)

c) Drill down into PowerSettings key and modify the following values:

Current Path =  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0011\PowerSettings

IdlePowerState = ff ff ff ff

PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff

5) Reboot your PC and the issue should resolved.  

This solution allowed me to continue using the RealTek Driver and preloaded MaxxAudio software. 

4 Posts

September 12th, 2020 05:00

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU!!!!  I bought a new Dell laptop in March and have had this same problem since DAY ONE.  It's been 6 months and I finally decided to search for a solution.  Your solution worked.  I removed Smartbytes and Modified the power management settings for the 'RealTek Audio' via Windows registry.  I didn't have to update the BIOS or Realtek drivers because mine were already updated.

THANK YOU again for this solution.

Barbara

3 Apprentice

• 

547 Posts

September 17th, 2020 15:00

Thank You!!!!!

I've been using REduce Audio Latency (running automatically on login) to get rid of the popping. The only problem was that it kept the audio stream active and prevented the computer from automatically sleeping. This method doesn't, and the sound events continue to be on cue! I really wish Microsoft and/or Realtek would address this so that it doesn't have to be performed manually. (I assume that driver re-installation/updating or a major Windows 10 update would reset these values back to default).

4 Posts

September 17th, 2020 19:00

I guess we will find out when the next Microsoft updates come out or Dell pushes a Realtek driver update.  At least now we know how to fix it.  It's just a small registry hack. I'm very much enjoying the sound on my computer now without the popping at the start of a sound/song and the popping at the end of a sound/song.

September 20th, 2020 05:00

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU.

YOU R A COMPLETE LEGEND

SO MUCH FRUSTRATION, SO SIMPLE,, NO MORE POPPING but also NO MORE hissing as well and NO MORE STRESSING out with this stupid problem

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU.

Cheers

Karen 

ps mine was in 0001 - and easy to find thanks for the great instructions - 

1 Message

August 27th, 2023 04:07

@Barbloki​ hi pal, can you give the clue on where and what to edit on the registry, thanks.

No Events found!