Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2016 16:00

Automatic Repair loop won't stop

I may be able to attempt some fix if I could get into safe mode..but I'm unable to do so. I get an F2(setup) and F12(boot something or other) option but no safe mode in either of those. I did burn to dvd some Windows 10 bootup thing that I saw suggested in another forum but even changing (in the F12 page) for it to boot up via the DVD- the loop continues.

Has anyone had theirs or has anyone read of anyone having theirs eventually repairing themselves by leaving the computer on overnight or longer and just letting it keep looping?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 11th, 2016 06:00

What were you doing when this endless looping started?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 11th, 2016 15:00

Sounds like a failed hard drive.

9 Posts

January 11th, 2016 15:00

Doing sweepstakes online- had  a # of windows open at the same time...but nothing I hadn't been doing for some time now.  

I did do a system restore a fewf weeks ago.  I was getting a blue screen error(bad pool header) but no looping like this. I got a prompt that actually suggested the system restore..so did that and it stopped the error. Now I'm getting that same error in this loop.

9 Posts

January 11th, 2016 16:00

I thought if anything it was a memory issue.  But I was able to do a diagnostics(via F12) and both the hard drive and memory passed....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" I did burn to dvd some Windows 10 bootup thing "

:emotion-2:

You mean downloading the windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft site ? Please click the link below and watch video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUUBdz8ytPg

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

malware ?

9 Posts

January 11th, 2016 17:00

I scan frequently for viruses and malware..but I suppose anything is possible.

LSUFAN51..yep, that thing! I'll check the video out more tomorrow...watched the first part and it is what I downloaded etc.

Thanks ;-)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 11th, 2016 17:00

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 11th, 2016 19:00

I scan frequently for viruses and malware..but I suppose anything is possible.

Visiting "sweepstakes" websites whatever they are can hardly be considered safe practice.

9 Posts

January 12th, 2016 15:00

I   doubt they'd cause any more problems than a lot of other places. The only one I visit that lists any is at About.com.

Now back to what LSUFAN51 suggested..I'm going to go ahead and do another DVD following the video instructions. Fingers crossed.

9 Posts

January 12th, 2016 19:00

Ok...I'm now getting a "hit any key to boot from cd or dvd"(or something like that) after changing the boot setting to 1.  But it's still not booting from the dvd..it's just doing the same loop'n.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

EDIT:

If you tried the above steps but your computer still isn't booting from the disc properly, check out some of the tips below.

1. Recheck the boot order in BIOS (Step 1). Without a doubt, the number one reason a bootable disc won't boot is because BIOS is not configured to check the CD/DVD/BD drive first.

2. Do you have more than one optical drive? Your computer probably only allows for one of your disc drives to be booted from. Insert the bootable CD, DVD, or BD in the other drive, restart your computer, and see what happens then.

3. Clean the disc. If the disc is old or dirty, as many Windows Setup CDs and DVDs are by the time they're needed, clean it. A clean disc could make all the difference.

4. Burn a new CD/DVD/BD. If the disc is one you created yourself, like from an ISO file, then burn it again. The disc may have errors on it that re-burning could correct. I've had this happen to me more than once.

pcsupport.about.com/.../bootcddvd.htm

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

After changing the boot setting (DVD/CD) to 1, you did restart the computer ? If restarted, it's possible the DVD/CD drive could be corrupt. How about downloading windows 10 on a flash drive? You can get one from the local Walmart for about $8.00 - recommend SanDisk 8GB flash drive). By the way, what is your Dell model ? Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, version 10

9 Posts

January 13th, 2016 14:00

Actually after I minimized the windows I did see a box that said "run setup?" or something..so I guess it was bootable. But maybe that's the problem on the other computer- if I don't see that box and it doesn't just run setup on it's own...I'm screwed?

9 Posts

January 13th, 2016 14:00

Yep..I did restart it- tried it numerous times. I get the "hit any key to boot from cd..." each time.

The computer is a  Dell-Inspiron M731R 5735

1. Yep..it's the first in the order. Even checked it after trying the reboot.

2. Nope..just one.

3,4. Disk is new..it's a DVD-R if that matters. Did 2 of them. Both I've checked on another computer and the files are on there. Both work when I click on "setup". BUT..after reading the link you provided nothing happens when I insert it in this computer that works.  That means it's not bootable? It is the ISO..everything that the video you linked to above said to do.

If there's nothing else to change or try I'll get that flash drive tomorrow.

No Events found!