Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 16th, 2016 19:00

Can I create a recovery partition for Windows 10 after I upgraded from Win 8.1?

Notice I said recovery partition on my hard drive-- not a recovery drive (e.g., on a USB flash drive)..

QUESTION:

If you upgraded to Windows 10 after your desktop arrived (with Win 8.1 factory installed), am I correct to assume the recovery partition you create after the Win 10 upgrade will unfortunately be for Windows 8.1? Ugh!!

The recovery partition I created is closer to 200 MB rather than a Windows 10 recovery partition which apparently consumes about 450 MB. (A Win 8.1 recovery partition is apparently about 200 MB.)

Your thoughts?

Footnote:

Assuming my conclusion is correct -- always a scary proposition at my age -- does anyone know of a recovery tool that will create either a Win 10 recovery partition or a Win 10 recovery USB flash drive from a desktop/laptop which has been u[graded to Windows 10 from the factory software install of Windows 8.1?

TIA

Michael T.

Software Engineer (retired)

11 Posts

April 18th, 2016 02:00

When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 will create a recovery partition if your system reserved partition (MBR disk) or Recovery Partition doesn't have enough disk space. As you know, Windows can only shrink a partition from the right side, so the 450 MB recovery partition is new created, which should not be deleted if you want to use recovery options. Windows 10 also allows you to create Windows 10 recovery disk use a USB drive. when you create a recovery usb disk, it will give you an option to delete the 450MB recovery partition.

No Events found!