Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

February 16th, 2017 17:00

Can a Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 run 64-bit?

Hello!

I own a 17r N7110 running 32-bit Windows 10. I've heard that Windows 10 is not supposed to work with this machine, or it was not recommended, but the 17r is very fast and works perfectly with Windows 10 in my opinion.

So, onto the question. I was wondering if I could upgrade the system to 64-bit. I think I made a post on this before, but that was a long time ago and I'd like to see if there is any possibility now. I currently have 8 gigabytes of ram installed.

If it wasn't possible, that'd kind of be a bummer in my opinion. What's the use of having a computer that supports over 4 gigs of ram, but isn't compatible with 64-bit.

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate any answers I get! Cheers and good luck!

5.2K Posts

February 17th, 2017 08:00

Win 10 32-bit  will not address 8gb RAM.

Many older Dells (and other OEM models) are OK with Win10. See my Sig for three that are 10 years or more old. Dell just couldn't test all old machines for approval. Little sense if there are few of a model being used.

Your machine will run 64-bit Win 7, so you could be OK with Win 10 64-bit.

Biggest problem will be video drivers. Older video may not have 64-bit drivers available, but Win 10 may install a generic 64-bit driver that will work, but not all features will be available. There are 64-bit drivers for Win 7 for the N7110, so it might be possible to use these. I was able to jigger Win XP drivers to work with Win 10

5 Posts

February 28th, 2017 23:00

That's good to know, but when you say problems with video drivers, what do you mean? Do you mean big problems like me not being able to use the laptops display or something small like not being able to play certain games? And if I was able to install it, are you able to give me some instructions? Thank you!

5 Posts

March 8th, 2017 09:00

bump

No Events found!