Highlighted
amnhr
1 Copper

Can not create a recovery disk with system files on Windows 10 inspiron 15 5000 laptop

Brand new laptop, I just received and tried to create a recovery USB drive.  I run "create recovery drive' wizard and got "a problem occurred while creating the recovery drive" error.  I could create a recovery drive when I unchecked "Back up system files to the recovery drive"

I googled the issue and found that it might be related to missing or corrupted install.wim file.  did I get bad laptop??  Tried Dell tech support but couldn't get any support....

7 Replies
jhmark
1 Copper

RE: Can not create a recovery disk with system files on Windows 10 inspiron 15 5000 laptop

I have the same problem on an Inspiron 13 running Windows 10. Creating a recovery USB drive always fails with "problem occurred while creating the recovery drive".

Following the suggestion of user "Mogojohn" on the Microsoft forum, I was able to do "Create System Image" by selecting "Settings", "Update & Security", "Backup", "More Options", "See Advanced Settings", and then look for System Image Backup at the lower left. Here is the Microsoft forum thread:

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e90b650b-49b9-4963-b3ed-6f487d2a7eb7

I backed up the system onto 4 image DVD's plus a System Repair DVD. I restored the system using these DVD's and everything seems to be OK so far.

Restoring this system image does not get you to a factory install, instead it takes you to the system state when you created the system image. But this is at least enough for me not to return the Dell Inspiron 13 (for now).

I would still appreciate it if Dell would explain how to get the Create USB Recovery function to work.

Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

RE: Can not create a recovery disk with system files on Windows 10 inspiron 15 5000 laptop

I'd recommend downloading a Windows 10 .iso also, ensuring it matches the edition in system:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
fogey66
1 Copper

Uncheck the 'Backup system files to the recovery drive' box and it will ask you to connect a USB flash drive - this worked fine on my new laptop (same as yours by the way)

0 Kudos
omarasghar22
1 Copper

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 are similar so only the first step will be different.

1: Type in search bar "Create a recovery drive".
2: In the opened window, click "Next".
3: It will detect your USB drive, when it detects click "Create".
4: It will start creating and will show your a confirmation message after completion.
5: Click OK and you're done.

Source: http://techzend.com/how-to-create-a-recovery-repair-usb-drive-in-windows-10/

0 Kudos
jhmark
1 Copper

@natakuc4 - thanks for the suggestion and helpful web site link - I downloaded the Windows 10 .iso.

@fogey66 - true, that works, but I wanted recovery discs with the system files included.

@omarasghar22 - that is the procedure I am using, but it fails (with the error mentioned above) if I check the box to include the system files.

0 Kudos
TimWiz
1 Copper

I own a computer repair company in Florida and have seen this exact issue with every Dell Windows 10 computer since the release.  I called Dell after reading this forum. 1-800-624-9896 and insisted on speaking to a supervisor without offering a service tag. (Forcefully)

Dell is aware of the problem.  I told the supervisor that I have experienced this with over 8 systems, two of which are here now.  I told her about this forum and she immediately offered to send a recovery drive for each unit.  She also mentioned a site to request free recovery media on in-warranty systems so I do not have to spend 30 minutes each time.

www.dell.com/recoverymedia

So, moving forward, I will do this for each Dell system as they do not seem to be working on a fix. 

0 Kudos
jashonsmith
1 Copper

Make sure that Windows 10 system is packed with the latest update if all ok then their is a problem in the method of creating backup. apply the below given steps one by one.

Step 1- Open control panel-> click on the File History-> click on the System Image Backup link present in the bottom-left corner of the window.

Step 2- Connect an external USB hard drive with enough free space.

Step 3- Select on a hard disc option

Step 4- Click on the Next-> Start Backup option

For more and detailed information on this you can also visit:  http://www.pcerror-fix.com/steps-to-create-a-system-image-backup-in-windows-10

0 Kudos