Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2015 18:00

Confirmed Windows 10 works with Dell XPS ONE 2710

Hi All,

I used this forum quite a bit for the past few days, so I made a commitment to share my experience if my upgrade worked out. Here is what I can tell you:

•  The upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for the Dell XPS ONE 2710 (mid-2012) computer worked without a flaw.

Here are the details:

1. I have a Dell XPS ONE 2710. I purchased it with Windows 7 and even had the TV Tuner card installed back in early 2012.

2. Today I installed Windows 10 over Windows 7. No issues reported (so far). I used a stop watch to time everything.

3. Here is the process:

4. First downloaded the Media Creation file from Microsoft

5. Ran it, it took about 10-15 minutes to download the files, etc

6. When it came it installing windows 10 screen it took 8 minutes

7. Then it goes to a black screen which says Upgrading Windows. It took a grand total of 48 minutes to finish this and it did 3 reboots by iteself.

8. This part had 3 phases (copying files, install features, configure settings). The last part took 10 minutes, the other 2 parts took 38 minutes. Therefore total time to install and configure was 48 minutes as per step 7.

9. Then it went to a pink screen with the sign-in. I was worried my video drivers were hosed, but that was just windows being fancy. This part took 3 minutes and it includes setting up your apps., Then you will get the cobalt blue screen which indicates you are in.

10. As a prerequisite to all of this I did go to Dell.com and download many updates include the NVIDIA drivers and Atheros and some network drivers. I also verified I was on the latest firware which is A12. I don't know how much of this is contributing, but, it gave me peace of mind knowing I am not on some legacy driver.

11. Overall it is much faster than Windows 7. The boot is still weird it makes you use a pin rather than your old password and it is integrated with MS OneDrive. I would suggest setting one up ahead of time because you can easily POP in your password to get Cortana and your apps (email, calendar) working fast. 

12. So far I am still testing it, but I am OK with it all. Don't be so scared, I have one of the original Dell XPS 2710's with the legacy TV tuner (which was removed as part of the install). 

Feel free to comment, I will reply.

Good luck,

Jay

10 Posts

August 26th, 2015 16:00

Dell:

If some users are experiencing a successful Windows 10 upgrade on the XPS 2710, why can't you test it and advise what may not work properly? 

9 Posts

August 26th, 2015 17:00

It works, didn't you see my post. It works!

en.community.dell.com/.../20814160

4 Posts

August 28th, 2015 17:00

I agree with you, Dell should test the windows 10 upgrade on this computer!

1 Message

August 30th, 2015 18:00

I,too,  upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 on the XPS One 2710. However; I have noticed the display touch controls in the bottom right of the screen no longer worked after the update. Almost certain it is driver-related but have not done anything about it yet.

4 Posts

August 30th, 2015 20:00

Have you contacted Dell about this issue?

1 Message

October 12th, 2015 04:00

Did anyone get any issues after this point.  I am suffering now the issue of when it goes to hibernation mode I get the blue screen of death and it just circles trying to reboot itself constantly.

Advice online on other computers is to remove the battery which is not that easy on XPS one obviously and not something I want to try.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rach

10 Posts

October 17th, 2015 08:00

Hi have simiilar problem too.

I updated to win 10 from win 8.1 and went fine but after second win update I am now stuck with a black screen on a boot loop and cannot see or do anything.

Cannot boot up from cd drive  or usb as cannot see anything on the screen, even when I connect a tv on it doesnt do anything.

Any suggestions?

2 Posts

October 25th, 2015 17:00

Me too ... exactly the same problem with no resolution in sight . However it displays no HDMI detected on port and if I connect a HDMI signal  it displays only the video with no sound. PCjust will not boot at all.

If there is a fix for this , I will first try going back to win 8 hopefully. 

10 Posts

October 30th, 2015 10:00

i managed to make mine boot by pressing the power button many times fast at start up. maybe it worked because its been off for many days. however i reverted to win 8 but i think the process didnt change the drivers andvon restarting the pc i have black screen again. 

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

October 30th, 2015 16:00

The 2710 is not approved by Dell for upgrading because all the required drivers for win 10 are not available and never will be. Since the 2710 is a hybrid computer that is more like a laptop than a desktop with integrated hardware that needs customized drivers, you should know that you might not be able overcome any shortcomings in running windows 10. 

You have 30 days after the upgrade to revert back to your previous windows if you are not happy with win 10. Do that instead of living with and using workarounds for an OS that is not compatible.

See the list of win 10 approved Dell models at the top of this forum.

10 Posts

November 10th, 2015 10:00

Thank you for the info! Alas, it was not so clear on the dell homepage, that one of the possible issues could be that of bricking the motherboard.

Anyway, we all recognize we did a mistake by upgrading, we shouldn't challenge our luck an now we're guilty and pay our wrongdoing… Still, it would be nice to use the good ol'2710 for something else that is not keeping documents from flying around so… Is there any actual solution/hint to break the boot loop it goes in after hibernating, or the only possibility is to change the Motherboard (that here in Europe costs almost as much the same as the computer )? I swear that I, as well as a lot of other user on the net would be really grateful!

Thanks a lot,

Giulio

1 Message

November 15th, 2015 06:00

after upgrading to 10 my internal speakers no longer work - Dell has advised me that since the 2710 is not approved for 2010 update they can't help me - anyone know of work around - or will any external speakers work? 

2 Posts

November 15th, 2015 07:00

I have 2 2710 here at home and both are runneing WIN10 flawlesly, although one one of them I don't seem to be able to set the brightness.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2015 13:00

I have a Dell 2710 and it is working fine with Windows 10, no problems at all.  

10 Posts

November 15th, 2015 13:00

Go back to Windows 8 while you can!!!

No Events found!