hi, I am absolutely upset by this. I just received my brand new lap top from Dell this morning and when I go to Cortana she ask you to sign into your Microsoft account so she can do more (like voicing etc) unfortunately when i click sign in I get a square black empty box just sits there.
I have called dell was told I have to pay $129.00 for them to help me one time only or pay another $200.00 for software warranty.
It's suppose to be included in windows 10 and have had it maybe 3 hours at this point have had it since 9:00 a.m. this morning Haven't done anything just letting it set up.
I'm on my Dell all in one desk top and I bought it also brand new about little over a year and Cortana works perfectly on it. it was windows 8.1 and i got the free windows 10 download for it.
So if anyone out there can help me as I'm ready to call them tell them send me a return label and skip a lap top all together. I had both miss my lap top this one was on sale got it for $242.00
Also tried Microsoft support tech but nope they say Dell should go good for it.and Dell said the software isn't put in by them not warranted only the hardware.
Thank you in advance
Try the various steps below to resolve this issue.
If you just made a new Microsoft account and are having this problem, then you have to verify it with your email.
You can try the information below as well.
1. Type Manage your Accounts in the search bar
2. Click on Your Accounts.
3. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
4. Enter the Microsoft password if prompted.
5. Follow the on screen instructions to configure Local account.
6. Restart your PC.
7. Follow the same steps and change to Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
8. Sing in to Cortana, Windows store and check.
Here is another option that seem to work for some.
Type User Accounts in your search bar and select "Change User Account Control Settings"
- Check your settings---if the lowest option is selected, this is your problem! Change your option to the Windows recommended option (in bold). It should be one option below "Always Notify."
- Restart your computer. Upon restart, you should see that Cortana is working. But if she's not, select the Windows store icon in your taskbar.
- Click the Sign in option.
- Sign in and answer that you'd like to use your Microsoft Account to access the computer.
- (Optional) Sign out to make sure changes have saved.
- (Optional) Sign back in and all should work (see notes below if you have problems with Cortana).
If, after your change, you're having problems with Cortana because you’re unable to enable location access (meaning it’s grayed out, preventing you from enabling it), see below.
Follow the steps below:
- type "msconfig" in your search bar, right click System Configuration and select "Pin to Taskbar." (trust me, this will help for the next step).
- Restart your computer in Safe Mode (in Windows 10, to start your computer in Safe Mode, hold the shift button when you select "Restart" then select Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart -> Option 4: Boot in Safe Mode
- Once your computer has started in Safe Mode, select System Configuration from your taskbar.
- Under General, select “Normal Startup” then click “Apply” and “OK.”
- Restart your computer and all will work
hi, this happened on the get go.My Microsoft account works fine.trying to click change user account from local a big black grayish square comes up their to.I can't get access to do so.
also my brother was a software engineer for 22 yrs now paramedic/firefighter he always said never put it in "safe mode" unless your a pro and knows exactly what your doing besides if it breaks down my lap top than Dell doesn't have to refund i would think. But after my app this morning i will try the other and get back to you.Thank you & have a wonderful day!
tried everything called Dell support again. This time I got a wonderful gal on the phone. No I shouldn't have to pay when the software should be on my lap top. It took here 2 hours finding out i was missing some software components to start with.after configuring them in she brought my lap top to the beginning like taking it out of the box.All the black/grayish squares disappeared.
she stayed with me thru the complete new set up had me try different task all working & happy to say
my Cortana has her microphone is up running.Perfect so far .The gal stayed on while I went to my app. fixing it when I got home I just picked up phone & wa la now it's done.Just wonderful gal very informative patient. well off to my other app. thank you though the gal said it was software but also small part of a hardware issue.