Highlighted
JDB01
1 Copper

DELL Inspiron 7000 with Windows 10 Default Power Plan ALWAYS resetting to "Power Saver" Power Plan gives very very poor performance

Hi,

I have a recent DELL laptop:

Inspiron 7000 (Inspiron 17 7778 2-in-1),

Core i7, 16 Gb RAM, 128 GB SSD + 1TB HD...

Not a lot of programs and lots of space available.

In the last few months I have had a lot of poor performance issues. I finally figured out it is related to Windows 10 Power Plan. When set to "Power Saver", the performance is awful. The CPU is maxed to 0.80 GHz. So when browsing the net or looking at my picture gallery, the computer hangs, and it becomes impossible to use. If I change the plan to high performance, the computer behaves normally - fast!

And even if I change the plan to another plan (i.e. High Perf), the next time I restart or wake-up the computer, the "Power Saver" power plan is set back... Very frustrating. And as shows the image, it is not the "bolded" option in the list. What can be changing constantly that parameter??

I contacted DELL chat support and they asked me to re-install Windows! There is probably a better way to fix this. It looks to me as a DELL Driver conflicting with Windows. Also, my mother has an older DELL laptop on Windows 10 and she experiences the same issue...

Any help would be very appreciated!

Cheers,

Jean-Daniel

0 Kudos
5 Replies

RE: DELL Inspiron 7000 with Windows 10 Default Power Plan ALWAYS resetting to "Power Saver" Power Plan gives very very poor performance

JDB01

You can click the link below to try the information listed to see if that will resolve the issue.

Windows 8, 10 Power Plan Keeps Changing [Fix]

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
JDB01
1 Copper

RE: DELL Inspiron 7000 with Windows 10 Default Power Plan ALWAYS resetting to "Power Saver" Power Plan gives very very poor performance

Jesse L, Thanks!

I tried the first one, rebooted and it works!

After reboot the default plan is now "Dell" which is much faster than the Power Saver one!

Thanks for your support. Smiley Happy I'll send the solution to the DELL tech who advised me to re-install Windows...

0 Kudos
JDB01
1 Copper

Hum... Not quite fixed.

When I started the computer on the battery, it went back to "Power Saver".

I updated the video card drivers as specified in the other options, nothing changed; same problem.

I restarted again and opened the "Chose Power Plan" as soon as Windows started and I saw the parameter changing from DELL to "Power Saver" at the same time I saw a toast notification from DELL extended battery life utility! I'll disable that and see if now I have a performant system...

0 Kudos
FuzzyNegguts
1 Copper

RE: DELL Inspiron 7000 with Windows 10 Default Power Plan ALWAYS resetting to "Power Saver&quot

It's Dell QuickSet that is overriding your power profile plan. It's incredibly frustrating! I have absolutely no idea why there is such conflict within a Dell product's own software system. 

I tracked down QuickSet as the culprit by doing a clean boot then binary search through services enabling/disabling then restarting until the problem went away. 

Start Menu - Type "Task Manager" -> "Startup" Tab ->  located "QuickSet" -> Disable "QuickSet" -> Restart Comp

This is what Dell says QuickSet does. https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln291565/what-is-the-dell-quickset-utility-?lang=en

My keyboard dimming controls and volume controls still work fine with Quickset disabled within task manager. 

0 Kudos
RiffRaff80
1 Copper

RE: DELL Inspiron 7000 with Windows 10 Default Power Plan AL

I played around with the setting in Dell Battery Meter and disabled the setting "Enable Dell Extended Battery Life". Immediately when I apply the settings, the power plan returns to "Dell" power plan.

0 Kudos