Highlighted
DennisAme
1 Copper

Dell Apps not working on domain joined PCs (Windows 10)

Hi everyone,

I've been seeing the following issue popping up consistently on several domain joined Dell machines with Windows 10, even brand new ones. All Dell Apps that are managed through the Windows Store (Dell Command | Update, Dell Digital Delivery, etc.) can be opened on a local machine account without any problems, but when I try to open them with a domain joined, local Active Directory account (e.g. MYDOMAIN\Dennis), I get the following error message (it's in Dutch, the English version would be something like "Cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."):

Dell-Win10-error.jpg

This error also pops up on every login with the domain joined accounts (especially with Dell Digital Delivery), so the only option I have is to delete the apps from the system, after which the messages no longer pop up.

I'm consistently seeing this on brand new Dell PC's (e.g. XPS 8930) where this happens out of the box after joining an Active Directory domain. I just keep deleting all Dell software on new machines for the sake of not getting those error messages.

Because this has been happening on multiple devices, and for quite a long time (at least more than a year) I strongly suspect this is a bug in Dell's software. Other Microsoft Store apps (like Weather/OneNote/Microsoft To-Do/etc.) work without any problems, so this is specific to Dell apps.

Hope someone here has some ideas what could be causing this!

Dennis

0 Kudos
1 Reply
7- Thorium

Re: Dell Apps not working on domain joined PCs (Windows 10)

There is support for "Dell Command | Update" aka CCTK  but its not free.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln304625/dell-command-and-configure-dcc-formerly-clie...

Typical 1 year contract for onsite 24 x 7 x 4 hour Dell Senior Principal Engineer is $250,000

The Dell engineer has extensive knowledge of the following technologies;  

• Virtual Desktop (VDI) Solutions
  • VMware Solutions
  • Microsoft Cloud Deployments/Environments
  • Hyper Converged Solutions
  • Enterprise Storage Solutions
  • Data Center Design and Architectures to include Compute, Networking and Storage
  • Design and implementation of As-A-Service deployments
  • VCP-DCV 6.x
  • On-Premise and Off-Premise Cloud offerings
  • System "Hardening"

The Dell Client Command Suite is the new name of our industry leading Client Systems Management tools. These tools make Dell commercial client systems the world's most manageable client devices.

Here's how the existing tools you know and trust are included in the Dell Client Command Suite.

Check out our weekly webcast on Thursdays at 10am Central.

Easy link for this page is http://Dell.com/Command

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos