MikeyMcG
1 Nickel

Dell Command Update 3.0 - install during OSD

I would like to install DCU 3.0 during our Bare Metal OSD deployment in the SCCM Task Sequence.   The task appears to only partially install DCU.  Some of the files are there, but there is no way to launch it... no icon in the start menu.

I can use the same installation command on an existing system and it will install completely with no problems.  On a complete installation, there are two listings in Apps and Features:

• Dell Command | Update
  • Dell Command | Update for Windows 10

When trying to install from a task sequence it only installs the "Dell Command | Update for Windows 10" entry.  I can probably get it to install correctly if I put the install locally on each computer and put something into the RunOnce reg key to kick off the installation... but I don't want to have to do that if there's a better way.

Any ideas?

20 Replies
Highlighted
Yukonsent1
1 Copper

Re: Dell Command Update 3.0 - install during OSD

I'm having exactly the same issue...in the users guide, it refers to installing using DCU_Setup_3_0_0.exe /s /v"/qn" , however, this file doesn't exist. 

Alternatively, I've tried to install using Dell-Command-Update_4374J_WIN_3.0.0_A00.exe /s in my package to deploy the software...it does install it (it's in Add/Remove programs), however there is no way to run it - no files show in the start menu.  I've had to uninstall and reinstall using this command manually, and then everything works...but that isn't going to fly for multiple PC SCCM deployments.   

Have even tried to extract the DellCommandUpdateApp.msi file and create a package, but this doesn't work either.  Finally, I extracted the DellCommandUpdateApp_Setup.exe file, but no matter which switches I'm using, I can't get this to run from my Task Sequences.

So I can't answer your enquiry, but I'm hoping Dell or another contributor might have some ideas how to fix this issue.

Dragon066
1 Copper

I've been having the same issue since 3.0 came out (and now it looks like Dell is blocking 2.4 from getting updates). I've tried the Dell recommended way using the .exe and the special switches, I even went as far as to find the extracted .msi file and try that. In every case I can get the .exe or the .msi to install no problem via cmd line in a test machine that's already running. But when I take the same commands and sequence and put it into my OSD (through SCCM) it only ever does a half install as well. I can see the Dell Command | Update for Windows 10 in my Programs and Features, but the app itself doesn't exist/isn't runable on the system.

guacaflacka
1 Copper

The executable is located in:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DellInc.DellCommandUpdate_3.0.122.0_x64__htrsf667h5kn2\Main

But it looks like there's no switches to automate it...

0 Kudos
MikeyMcG
1 Nickel

It's good to know that we aren't the only ones having this problem.  

<spooky Ouija board voice>

Now I'd like to call upon the Dell Support spirits of Dell Command | Update..... if any of you are here among us... please feel free to make yourself known by offering advice to the practicing admins in this room.

</spooky Ouija board voice>

0 Kudos
Clintlgm
2 Iron

I have figured this out. Dell Command Update is an App, it is no longer a program. I use "Open Shell" so it took me a while to find this. However, if you'll open Start Menue (Windows) on the left sideline up of apps on my notebook it's in the recently added apps 3rd down from the top.

Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 -7386
16GB RAM
Samxung 970 Evo 1TB SSD 2nd SSD 512 GB Hynix
Kit-Dell Dock WD15,US,130W,1.1C,MDP
Windows 10 Pro
0 Kudos
Atze78
1 Copper

The problem is not that you can't find it, but that it's installed, but it can't be found in the start menu or via the search function. But I've done it several times now that it works. Unfortunately not reproducible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Would be really glad about a solution. It can't be so hard to build an app that can be installed under Windows 10. About MDT of course.

0 Kudos
Clintlgm
2 Iron

Hmm, must be an issue with your notebook, for me it right there alphabetly in the app list.

Dell command update in start menu.png

16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
0 Kudos
Clintlgm
2 Iron

I don't know if this is helpful or not. But here goes. my notebook shipped with Dell Update and Dell Assistant. I was having issues with the trackpad not turning off when my Mouse was in use..

I found out about Dell Command Update 3.0 from Tech Support and installed it and ran it manualy it found that I needed and Intel IO driver which was installed and my issue resolved.

I also could not find the installation in Add Remove programs, or in the start menu anywhere so to use it I just reinstalled and used it manually once.

This got me to thinking this isn't right, there has to be something I'm missing. I have to say I don't use any Windows Apps I do use Classic Shell/ Now Open Shell so I'm dealing with my GUI as I always have since XP or so. Still, this program has to be somewhere right?

So at top of my Start menu I find a link to Start Menu (Windows) I clicked it and it brings up the old or new however you look at it. the tiles and apps menu, and in that menu list  A to Z is Dell Command Update. I click it and Dell Command update runs say I am up to date and that it. It's an app that is intended to be run manually

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3do385nytwou7ve/Dell%20command%20update%20in%20start%20menu.png?dl=0

16GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
0 Kudos
Clintlgm
2 Iron

Sorry about the multi replies, I can't find a way to delete any of them

16GB RAM