Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2020 05:00

Dell Command Update 3.1.2 hangs with "Operation in progress".

DCU has worked very well on this system for several years, and the current version (3.1.2) has worked well for some months.  Suddenly it has started hanging with the mesages

• "Operation in progress"
  • "Warning: An operation is currently in progress. Please wait until it completes."
  • "Operation is 10 % completed..."

I have tried disabling the antivirus software, running DCU with admin privilegies and running the system in safe mode (then DCU did not start at all).  I have also tried reinstalling and donwgrading to previous 3.x versions.  Nothing helps.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

2 Posts

September 24th, 2020 22:00

regarding my case , after moving the PC in a new domain (so a new admin profile was created) the problem was gone. No other changes had been made to this PC. So maybe it helps if you create a new user profile with admin rights on the workstation Greetings from Austria, Volker

11 Posts

September 25th, 2020 00:00

Thanks for the suggestion, @JA AS , I'm sorry it did not work for me.

11 Posts

I tried running DCU from an elevated (admin) Windows Command Line, and got this (hanging like the GUI app):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\CommandUpdate>dcu-cli /scan
An operation, owned by the 'Service' application, is currently in progress.
DellClientManagementService is busy. Waiting for service to be available...|

If I try deactivating this service I get this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\CommandUpdate>dcu-cli /scan
The DellClientManagementService is disabled. To proceed, enable the DellClientManagementService.
Program exited with return code: 3002

If i re-enable the service the error reverts to the original.

It seems like DCU is starting (and keeps busy) the DellClientManagementService without being able to release it to itself.  What are you doing to improve this, @DELL-Cares?

11 Posts

@EngelV Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried it, but it did not help.

2 Posts

September 25th, 2020 06:00

Perhaps what worked for me was actually stopping the services and not the folder rename? I reinstalled the application with all Dell services stopped.

1 Message

September 28th, 2020 14:00

i Stopped the service which gave you error and restarted the Aliewanre Update ( Dell Command Update ) it worked fine thank you @blazius1 

1 Message

September 29th, 2020 15:00

I am also having this issue with 3.1.3. on my 7591 2n1 please advise asap.

Elkidog_0-1601418188526.png

11 Posts

October 1st, 2020 01:00

Thanks for the suggestion @JA AS , I'm tried it now, but it did not help me.

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2020 18:00

Not sure if anyone is still having this issue, but it presented on several XPS 15 systems in our area. After some trial and error we discovered that these systems had the Dell Support Assist application on them (UWP Version). We uninstalled Command Update and then uninstalled Support Assist, rebooted and then reinstalled Command Update. After that Command Update started working again.

From what we could tell, Support Assist and Command Update don't like to be installed on the same system. And to be honest they're redundant, so best to choose one over the other.

11 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 05:00

Thanks for your suggestion, @pbbarntt , unfortunately it did not work for me.

5 Posts

October 4th, 2020 10:00

Yes, stopping and starting DellClientManagementService (and consequent 'Dell Command Update' restart) helped me as well.

So it looks like service connection programmatical issue, which should be fixed by @Anonymous_Cares

October 4th, 2020 15:00

I am having the EXACT SAME problem.  My screen looks identical to your screen shot.

October 7th, 2020 06:00

I'm having the same issue with 3.1.3. 

I noticed in Add/Remove Programs the install looks like dell is Installing 2 things something along with DCU. I’m not sure exactly what it’s for it’s also named Dell Command Update. I tried uninstalling it hoping it was tied to that DellCommandManagement service that’s hanging but it didn’t remove the service. Running DCU without it caused the same behavior. It looks like that service is something new with the newer version I don’t see it after running the 3.1.0 install. I can’t figure out a way to install the new version without that piece installing.

October 8th, 2020 13:00

After more testing we found that this issue only effect specific Dell Models. The models we notice this issue with currently are:

Dell 5400, 5500, 53002N1

On these machines after installing Dell Command Updates 3.1.3 during the scanning phase to find what drivers are available the software hangs.

You can reproduce this manually by opening a command prompt navigating to the dell command update directory and typing in the command dcu-cli.exe /scan

The process will hang with the following message "DellClientManagementService is busy. Waiting for service to be available"

11 Posts

October 8th, 2020 13:00

I am experiencing the issue with an Optiplex 9020.

No Events found!