I'm having the same issue with 3.1.3.
I noticed in Add/Remove Programs the install looks like dell is Installing 2 things something along with DCU. I’m not sure exactly what it’s for it’s also named Dell Command Update. I tried uninstalling it hoping it was tied to that DellCommandManagement service that’s hanging but it didn’t remove the service. Running DCU without it caused the same behavior. It looks like that service is something new with the newer version I don’t see it after running the 3.1.0 install. I can’t figure out a way to install the new version without that piece installing.
After more testing we found that this issue only effect specific Dell Models. The models we notice this issue with currently are:
Dell 5400, 5500, 53002N1
On these machines after installing Dell Command Updates 3.1.3 during the scanning phase to find what drivers are available the software hangs.
You can reproduce this manually by opening a command prompt navigating to the dell command update directory and typing in the command dcu-cli.exe /scan
The process will hang with the following message "DellClientManagementService is busy. Waiting for service to be available"
Possible easy solution to hanging:
Installed v3.1.3 today on an aging Inspiron running Win7 & had same problem after installing Bios (operation in progress....)
A previous post mentions Dell Client Management Services (DCMS) which was started/running. Closed the Dell Update program. Stopped DCMS with Task Mgr. Tried to reopen Dell Update but would not start; I thought that it would restart DCMS, but did not. Went back and restarted DCMS. Dell Update works fine; checked for updates - no hanging; ran update twice.
Note: With Task Manager in Win 7, you must click on Services button at bottom of Services tab to Start & Stop DCMS. Did not try Start/Stop in Win 10, but there is not Services button on its Services tab.
Hope this helps.
Hi, I worked for me. I've restarted the DCMS service during the Dell command update, twice, at the third time, Dell command update has arrived to 70% and then 100% showing all new drivers and bios.
@blazius1 same issue here
Also, with 3.1.3 installed, DPO 6.4.5 "System updates" check results in a meaningless error.
Went back to DCU 3.1.0 as suggested above, and it works OK, even DPO works again now...
Hopefully DCU 3.1.4 will come soon and fix this
I had this issue on a Latitude 7200 2-in-1. My deskside techs confirmed they had seen it on all of our 7200s in the environment.
Seems if we rolled back and installed the 3.1.0 version the scan worked perfectly and finished within seconds like it should have.
Looks like the latest build version is buggy.