Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

11 Posts

November 13th, 2019 10:00

Dell Command | Update Unable to Pull Catalog Data

As of yesterday 11/12/19, Dell Command Update will no longer pull update data. Calling Dell tech support got me no useful information. We are currently using v2.4 as we utilize the command line support and v3.0 had it removed until a "future release" back when it was released in June 2018. I'm curious if there is a server issue on Dell's side or if Command Update is pulled from support.

Application Error

GUI-UVM15

Load of update catalog data failed.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2019 12:00

Yep - same thing here. Both GUI & dcu-cli

Worked on Friday 11/8/2019 no problem

November 13th, 2019 12:00

We are seeing the same issue at my work location as well.

November 13th, 2019 13:00

FYI,

I installed v3.0.1 on a test PC and it was able to pull the update catalog file. Does not seem Dell is aware of the issue.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2019 13:00

yeah, sadly V3 doesn't have silent/CLI so it's literally useless.

November 13th, 2019 14:00

Same here in our Enterprise environment.   I was able to use SupportAssist to download BIOS update and a few drivers as a workaround.

November 13th, 2019 15:00

Thank you all for responding to this post.

Would be nice if a support rep who is familiar with this product could provide some clarification on what is happening. I don't want to use SupportAssist because it does not seem to be made for enterprise environments.

I'm feeling they are trying to push people to start using v3.0 without stating and we are not planning on using it until CLI support is added back in. Documentation for Command Update is pretty basic far as I can tell.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 14th, 2019 06:00

@Tuplin @bornmusician @chrisc32057 can you help also with the following details

What systems are you running it on and what BIOS version are you running?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling 2.4.0 to see what happens?

Is it possible to disable any antivirus / firewall software on the system and test to see if you get the same error?

Alan

3 Posts

Just to chime in here, I'm having the same issue on newly-imaged machines running DCU 2.3. These machines do not yet have 3rd-party AV installed or, indeed, any software other than DCU.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@DidYouRestart thanks for bringing this to our attention. To clarify, the issue that you are encountering is as follows - 

Command | Update 2.4.0 gives an error message when trying to update

Command | Update 3.0.1 connects fine and pulls down updates but is not currently suitable for your use

Is this correct?

What systems are you running it on and what BIOS version are you running?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling 2.4.0 to see what happens?

Is it possible to disable any antivirus / firewall software on the system and test to see if you get the same error?

With regards to Support Assist, it originally was an enterprise support tool that has been modified for client platforms.

Alan

3 Posts

November 14th, 2019 07:00

Latitude 3590, bios 1.10. AV was disabled but didn't make a difference. Reinstalling was the first thing we did. Didn't work. Then found literally any other dell we tried was having the same problem. Not just in our environment - but our other customers as well, varying models, versions etc.

12 Posts

November 14th, 2019 08:00

Hello
Are you able to manually download the catalog and open it ?

http://ftp.dell.com/catalog/CatalogPC.cab

Rgds

Christophe

November 14th, 2019 08:00

This is happening on multiple models: Latitude 5495, Latitude 5490, OptiPlex 7050, Latitude 7390 2 in 1

I tried 2.4 again this morning & am still getting the error.  I tried installing 3.1 and it won't install at all, says it does not work on my OS - Windows 10 v1809, so dunno what's up with that.

These are freshly imaged machines, not joined to the domain yet, so they are not getting policies.   BIOS versions are current because I manually updated those first.

November 14th, 2019 11:00

That is correct, we have a mix of Dell laptops and desktops (E6430, E6440, Precision 3620, T1700) all which had the program working fine until recently and are running the latest BIOS for them. My main workstation is a Precision 3620 running v2.13.1 of the BIOS.

I have tried re-installing the application and disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection during catalog download and still receive the same error. My issue with SupportAssist is I do not want any Dell technician to access our network or PCs. There is no mentioning of it in the documentation for the Dell Client Command Suite website and Dell Client Command Suite is still being supported which a large portion of companies use. Below is the error produced by Command Update.

Please let us know if you are able to find out what is going on with this, I really think it's a server issue on Dell's side.

dc1.PNGdc2.PNG

22 Posts

November 14th, 2019 11:00

Confirming the issue for DCU 2.4 and v3 across multiple devices across multiple vlans

Dell Update (for non-enterprise devices) is working.

Win 10 x64 1903 and 1809

Dell Precision M4700

Dell Latitude E6320

Dell Optiplex 3010

7 Posts

November 14th, 2019 18:00

For some reason my replies keep getting deleted. 

We are having the same problem. The log files show It appears that the file fails to download and the MD5 checksum fails. 

We are using Command Update 2.4. 

Log file: image.png

image.png

No Events found!