Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

August 16th, 2015 08:00

Dell Factory Recovery vs Windows 10 Recovery Drive

Hi,

Just upgraded my new Inspiron do Windows 10.  Eveyrhing is now up-to-date (Windows updates, drivers, Dell updates, etc...).

Windows 10 has the ability to create a "Recovery USB Drive"... as well as the Dell Backup & Recovery application.  Which one should we choose ?... can they both be used to fully reinstall Windows 10 on a brand new disk drive ?  Is the USB recovery drive created with the Dell Backup & Recovery app is the same as the one created with Windows 10, except with a few more Dell applications ?

Oh and one last thing... let say in more than one year my hard drive crashes and I have to completely reinstall Windows 10, will I have to pay for it (since the 1 year free upgrade from Microsoft will have expired) or will I be able to reinstall and activate it ?

Thanks guys ! 

41 Posts

August 16th, 2015 21:00

You'll need to use the windows 10 recovery, if what you want to do is restore windows 10. As for reinstall after 1 year, you won't have to pay anything, as your computer is activated under your Microsoft account.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 18th, 2015 02:00

2 Posts

March 24th, 2016 06:00

Dell Factory Recovery works good

2 Posts

April 27th, 2016 11:00

Hi guys... 8 months now since I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, everything's still working well.

Now that Windows 10 has been out for some time... what kind of "recovery drive" do you recommend to do a full Windows 10 recovery :   The "Recovery USB Drive" that comes with Windows 10 or the Dell "Backup & Recovery" application ?  The goal is to be able to completely reinstall a working version of Windows 10 on a brand new formatted hard drive.

Thanks,

41 Posts

April 28th, 2016 18:00

I downloaded the latest usb installer (you can also download the iso) directly from Microsoft, and did a clean install from that.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 29th, 2016 03:00

I prefer clean installation as it performs better than the Windows 8.1 → Windows 10 TH2 Upgrade. Dell Backup and Recovery (Free) will only restore your system to Windows 8.1 meaning you have a double install.

I recommend clean installation of Windows 10 TH2, installation of the Dell drivers in the correct order and then the creation of a Macrium Reflect Image.

Video 1,2,3,5,6 and 7:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

Written guides:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows/

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/backing-up-your-windows-installation-using-macrium-reflect/

1 Message

December 21st, 2017 16:00

Original question still not answered. I have made a Win10 Recovery Disk. That will recover Win10. Do I also need Dell Factory Image recovery Disk to restore all Factory software...if the worst happens. I am confused. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2017 06:00

Original question still not answered. I have made a Win10 Recovery Disk. That will recover Win10. Do I also need Dell Factory Image recovery Disk to restore all Factory software...if the worst happens. I am confused. Thanks

It depends on your system and how it is configured.  If you have a newer system which came with Win 10 installed, it is configured to reinstall the OEM utilities along with the image of Win 10 created when you made the Recovery Drive.  

An earlier Win 10 system may or may not have the configuration to restore the OEM utilities, depending on how it was configured.

A system which came with an earlier OS will not work with a Win 10 Recovery drive as it relates to OEM utilities.

The only way to know for sure is to test it..  The Dell Recovery Image I tried for my newer system did not restore the OEM utilities.  The Win 10 recovery drive on my newer systems did restore to factory conditions.

No Events found!