DLHANDY
1 Nickel

RE: Dell Factory Windows 10 Recovery DVD

yes I know that but why give out a recovery DVD if it doesn't work??

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I replaced the drive on my system and used the Recovery Drive to Reset to factory on the new drive.  I do not know exactly what media you have and how it works, so just letting you know to see if there was that possibility.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

The DVD states it is for reinstalling on a Dell System.

You might check the file structure and see if it looks like a normal install USB or compare it to the one you made.

I will assume the DVD will load as UEFI, if that is how your system is configured.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
DLHANDY
1 Nickel

As stated previously it will not load, it will only let me repair the OEM hard drive. If I placed a new drive in the DVD is useless.  did you see this link dl.dropboxusercontent.com/.../File Jan 06, 9 02 47 AM.jpeg

0 Kudos
DLHANDY
1 Nickel

Was yours windows 10 and what did you use to recover it on the new drive?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Smiley Wink  I checked Dropbox, which is where I read what the DVD was for.

Win 10, yes but I did not use a DVD, just the Recovery Drive I created with Windows.  I had not considered using a Reset option one a new drive, but I knew the Recovery should reinstall so I tried it and it worked.

If the DVD gives you a Reset option, did you try that?

0 Kudos
DLHANDY
1 Nickel

Yes OEM hard drive I swapped out with a bigger SSD.  I had to download the media from microsofts website.. I wanted to use the OEM install so all the apps and everything goes back on like it was originally... but I do understand creating your own but dang why include a DVD recovery and it doesn't work??  That's my whole post is about.  Why include a 6GB DVD and it is only used to repair the install of what it had originally...

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

The last picture does seem to indicate the DVD needs the Recovery partition on the original drive...

When you make a recovery drive, it copies the Win 10 image and the Recovery partition utilities.  That is probably why it works where the DVD does not have the images it needs.

The Recovery drive also uses 3.5 GB for windows plus another 5 GB for the OEM utilities.  But since you can reinstall Win 10 by just downloading the Install Media from Microsoft, they may not be providing full Factory Resetl media, as was suggested, I believe.

Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Any installation media shipped with the system or retail installation is obsolete... Microsoft Update their Windows 10 .iso every 3 or so months. The latest mainstream build is the RS1 build 14393 .iso. 

You will get far superior performance clean installing with the latest .iso then using an obsolete DVD and performing a clean install and subsequent upgrade install. See here for details:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr 

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I don't know how old your system is, but one of the downloads from the drivers page for my system is a System Recovery Image, which might do a full install.  

One problem might be you need to give your Service tag and also accept a download which checks you current configuration.  It may not work on a new drive.

0 Kudos