Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2017 17:00

Dell Inspiron 15 5567 Can't disable Secure Boot to boot from USB drive

A little background, my laptop suddenly crashed one day and it would not start windows, it would simply get past the Dell logo and then the screen would stay black until shutdown.

After a couple of times of this it would show recovery options for windows, atfer choosing to restore windows while preserving user files and waiting for it to complete it would now show a blue screen with a BCD error.

Now the next step would be to use a recovery media to repair windows start or simply reinstall it, problem is I can't get it to start from the usb.

As mentioned in the title I cannot disable secure boot, I can set it to disable and apply the changes, but then if I go to boot options I can't change from UEFI to legacy or I get an error(Need to disable SecureBoot) which is already done. So I restart hoping I can choose Legacy now but again the same error shows and Secure Boot shows enabled. Other BIOS settings also reset after every restart, the clock however does not.

I tried updating the bios, using F12 for the boot menu there is an option to update the bios, I then select the file from the usb which is correctly recognized and the process starts and it completes almost immediately but upon restart the bios version is still the same 1.0.

I have tried leaving UEFI, going into Boot Sequence and Add Boot Option selecting the usb which is recognized correctly but upon saving, restarting and using F12 I can't see the option I added for the USB. I'm using similar steps to the ones here starting at step 3: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln142679/how-to-enable-boot-from-dvd-option-with-uefi-boot-mode-enabled--windows-8--81--10-?lang=en

I used rufus to create the usb.

Apart from using an actual dvd which I still don't think it would work I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

I tried to provide as much information as I could, let me know if you would like me to check something else.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 7th, 2017 19:00

You do not need to disable Secure Boot.  You need to configure your Boot USB drive correctly so it will boot and be able to reinstall or repair your UEFI system.

Rufus has to format the drive as FAT32 for it to work with UEFI.  It then copies files from the .iso file.  I have never used Rufus but if you set it correctly, it will work and you will be able to see the drive in a F12 Boot Device menu.

November 7th, 2017 19:00

If I remember correctly when selecting GPT for UEFI it uses FAT32 by default, still it didn't work.

November 7th, 2017 20:00

Laptop is with my brother but pretty much like below image except on EUFI there's only "Windows Boot Manager".

I also tried disabling secure boot(just to see if it would hhelp booting from the usb) within this menu but was also reset after reboot.

en.community.dell.com/.../UEFI-shown-in-one-time-boot.PNG

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 7th, 2017 20:00

OK, when you open the F12 boot menu, what options do you have.

Make sure the media is inserted prior to booting or rebooting.

November 7th, 2017 21:00

I did try the usb on an acer laptop having Windows 10 and a UEFI bios, worked fine. Dell diagnostics say there are no hardware issues.

I will try other usb ports, weird thing is when adding another boot option the usb is recognized as I can see it and look for the boot file however on restart it doesn't show, I guess it has to do with the same issue where bios settings are reset on restart.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

In the UEFI section, you should see the USB drive listed is some form.  You might try changing the USB port in case one is disabled during boot.

The Windows Boot Manager is the normal Boot device for a UEFI system.

Do you have another Win 10 system you could check the boot USB drive with?

I have seen screens stay black after the Logo when a video driver did not install completely.  In that case I used the normal keystrokes to get it to reboot, which isn't easy.  An external monitor may help.

If you have diagnostics you can run from the boot you might try that.

Forgot to mention this but I did check the usb on an acer laptop which also uses UEFI/GPT and has Windows 10 installed, it does show up on the boot menu.

I ran the dell diagnostics a couple of times, no hardware errors were found.

No Events found!