Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2017 09:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7567 won't boot from USB

Hey everyone, I've been trying to boot my laptop from a USB in order to do a clean install of windows 10 but the laptop won't boot from USB. I updated the BIOS in case that was the problem. When I go into the BIOS, and go to the screen to choose a device to boot from, I can't see the USB in the list. I've tried turning off safe boot and all that but to no avail. The only thing that seems to be left is change the boot mode to Legacy instead of UEFI but dell advises against that and I don' wanna do that in case something goes wrong. Thanks for the help

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 12:00

I'm assuming the USB is Dell media.....

No need to change the boot order in these newer computers. Please follow steps below:

1. Insert the recovery media into a USB port and then power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen.

3. At the boot menu, select the device under UEFI BOOT that matches your media type (USB or DVD )

4. Select your keyboard language ....

Please click on link below for additional information:

Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 27th, 2017 12:00

I am assuming you have the USB drive inserted prior to boot or reboot.

If you tap the F12 key during boot you should get a Boot Device Menu.  Is the UEFI version of the drive shown and available for selection?

How are you configuring the USB drive with the Win 10 Media?

2 Posts

June 27th, 2017 14:00

Turns out, I was configuring the USB drive for windows 7 and it wasn't compatible with the new UEFI BIOS. Just downloaded a new tool (Rufus) and it did the trick :)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 18:00

Glad to know you have figured it out. Thanks for the update....:emotion-2:

1 Message

January 29th, 2018 09:00

Hello
I'm using rufus to make a bootable Win 7 usb...but on the boot menu I only see the default booting option (ubuntu)...how did you manage to solve problem ?
Thanks

4 Posts

April 9th, 2020 17:00

I've tried just this solution, but I can never get to the "Preparing one time boot menu ". Thoughts?

No Events found!