Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2015 04:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 not supporting Windows 10?

I will try one more time to make this post cause the previous one never went live.

I have a 3 years old Dell Inspiron N5110 i5/8GB ram/Nvidia/ Win 7 home premium and i am very happy with its performance and build quality. Yesterday i tried to reserve a Windows 10 copy and after having trouble to make the icon pop in my taskbar, i managed to get it popped.

When i clicked on the Get Windows 10 app icon to get the reserve it came up with this message...

"BIOS isn't supported"

I have 2 more laptops that are 2-3 years older than my N5110 and both are qualified and reserved the update... 

I am running the latest BIOS A11, all windows updates and latest drivers for this machine and wanted to ask:

Is it me or other N5110 users getting this message?

Is there any other BIOS update that i might missing to get his to work?

Is Dell going to fix this till 29 July and when Windows 10 go live?

An official reply or if there is an official link from Dell for this issue would be appreciated.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 14:00

Just update your BIOS to A11, wait for some time (few hours or a day), and everything will be Ok.

It works although not supported by Dell.

Thank you all.

5 Posts

June 18th, 2015 03:00

hi rash732,

finally the application worked,

after a long time after enabling that gwx triggers,

thanks dell community.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 31st, 2015 09:00

If you have BIOS revision A11. Follow my instructions here, DJBOG1 has already confirmed that they work with this model:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/upgrading-to-windows-10/

4 Posts

August 1st, 2015 03:00

updating bios to A11 really works !!!!

thanks dell community

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 04:00

Ignore the error message and use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to initiate the Upgrade:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/upgrading-to-windows-10/

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 07:00

This worked 100% for me also from WIN7 HomeEdition...

N5110 / 6Gb RAM... upgraded BIOS to A11

and then followed... 

dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/.../upgrading-to-windows-10

Process took about 4 hours in total.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2015 11:00

hi again

I uninstalled IDT audio.. and I haven't installed any other driver yet.. but still it works now :)  the reason may be " Windows has its own generic native audio driver that will run the audio when there is no vendor (IDT) driver".

en.community.dell.com/.../19600284

3 Posts

October 16th, 2015 17:00

I, too have the same laptop with Bios A11.  I was able to install Windows 10 and have had nothing but problems.  I get a black screen after I sign on and am unable to restore to my previous windows 7.  I am still working on it.  Dell wants 129 dollars for the cure.  I got the same screen before but after I installed all updates through microsoft, I finally got the go ahead when I checked to install windows 10.  Do not install windows 10 or you will have the same problems I am contending with.  I have 3 other laptops that I upgraded and had no problems. Unfotunately, neither of them are Inspiron N5110.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 11th, 2015 04:00

The N5110 and similar Wistron-built systems like the N4110 never received 8.1 support -- so it's highly unlikely they'll ever see an update for Windows 10 support.

9 Posts

June 11th, 2015 06:00

How is this possible? A 3 years old machine will not get support for windows 10 while older and lower specs machine are qualified???

Is there an official Dell reply somewhere?

Are these forums monitored by Dell or just from community members?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 11th, 2015 07:00

Microsoft made changes to Windows 8.1 (continuing to 10) that rendered some CPUs and older BIOSes incompatible with 8.1, where they were compatible with 8.

Dell's official Windows 8/8.1 support document is here:

< >

If you extrapolate forward, since Dell isn't supporting 8.1 on the N5110 (and other contemporary systems), 10 won't have support either.  

There can be many reasons for this:

1.  Computer hardware is designed and built by contractors - not by the company whose name is on the outside.  These contractors can disappear -- or be taken over by others.   It may not be possible for the original contractor to produce a new BIOS.

2.  The incompatibility may be hardware-based -- the N5110 doesn't have UEFI support, and it may be impossible to add it.

3.  There may be no funds to test the system for compatibility.

Essentially, Apple is leading the way - once a Mac system reaches three years old, Apple essentially abandons it.  The PC manufacturers are simply following the leader.

9 Posts

June 11th, 2015 09:00

This document is a fact regarding Win 8/8.1 but there is nothing OFFICIAL regarding Win10.

It is a reasonable speculation that if they dont support win8.1 they wont support win10 but its still a speculation...

Also i cant find which is EXACTLY the incompatibility of the BIOS... Is it the UEFI support? is it software and not hardware? is it just an update that Dell could release?

I cant even think that my older machines are already qualified and this machine is not...

If Dell is following Apple that abandons 3 years old machines, maybe its time for me and my customers to start thinking abandon Dell...

1 Message

June 11th, 2015 09:00

Im on the same machine and facing the same issue. I guess no Windows 10 for us. That !

9 Posts

June 11th, 2015 10:00

Yep some people might running 8.1 with N5110 with some BIOS modding and hopefully so Win10 might run. The annoying thing is Dell's stance on this matter...

As for the mainstream manufacturers you said i know and i own 2 more laptops older than my N5110 that are already qualified and both having lower specs. Dont want to mention the manufacturer for obvious reasons but its the first that pops in your mind.

Also N5110 might released on 2011 but some customers bought it after 1 or 2 years after release. 

Also its not on the 4.5-5 years ago range because given that it released on 2011 and win 8.1 released on 2013, its 2 years not 4-5 ;)

So i think its a big fail for Dell on this and some other models...

Another question that i asked before but dont got any answer :

Are these forums monitored and running from Dell's personnel or from customer community members?

An official reply from Dell to the mentioned issue would be greatly appreciated cause i have to give an official answer to my people. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 11th, 2015 10:00

It is not the lack of UEFI support -- though that lack does lock out some features of 8/10 by default.

Windows 10 will run either as legacy BIOS or UEFI, as Windows 8 does.

Though Dell doesn't support 8.1 on the N5110, there are reports of people running it.  The same may happen with Windows 10 -- but Dell won't guarantee it.  I don't know of any notebook manufacturer - not the mainstream ones -- that will support systems that are more than three years old (and the N5110 was released over four years ago, so it was designed in the 4.5-5 year ago range).

All electronic hardware comes to an end support-wise -- in other words, has a life cycle.  For cell phones, it's about 18 months;  for notebooks, about three years.

No Events found!