johnmickler
1 Copper

Dell OS Recovery Tool Windows 10 download fails

I am trying to use the Dell OS Recovery tool to setup a USB drive to rebuild an Inspiron 3552 with a crashed Hdd. Every attempt to bring down the Windows 10 image fails, whether it stops midway or at the very last bit. I have tried several different locations home and at work; faster and slower bandwidth morning and night. No matter what I tried the download fails. I am starting to think this is a sick joke, I am able to bring down the image using the Microsoft tool, so is the problem Dell related? The USB drive is 16GB and I have tried formatting it as Fat32, NTFS this does not seem to matter either. I am using a Dell Latitude 7480 with Windows 10. Any suggestion are welcome.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell OS Recovery Tool Windows 10 download fails

johnmickler,

Take a look at the link below. There is also a couple of videos that may help you.

Dell Windows Backup Media and Recovery Options

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
johnmickler
1 Copper

Hi, my problem is when the download bar reaches 1 second remaining with 6.37GB showing as downloaded that it fails. Time and time again as though it is getting ready to write? So it starts the whole procedure over.... never completes...

John

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

I couldn't get it to work on all my systems either. If you go to your Downloads folder there should be a Dell Folder and the .iso should be present in it. You can use Rufus to make the Bootable USB with the .iso. More details here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/creating-a-windows-10-bootable-usb-for-a-uefi-bios/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
rlay3
1 Copper

This happened to me on my XPS 13" 9370. It got stuck right at the end of the download and the status was showing random amounts of time left remaining. The CPU also shot up.

I cancelled, closed the app, and reopened it in "Run as administrator" mode. It had to redownload the whole file again, but this time it worked. I'm not sure if "Run as administrator" was the difference or not.

Hope this helps someone :Yes:

0 Kudos
OctopusIT
1 Copper

for me it sat at 0 seconds for another 15 minute.  it eventually finished.  

0 Kudos
nugai
1 Copper

I just got an Inspiron 14 7472 and encountered the "1 sec left" problem when burning the USB stick. 

At first, I thought the USB burn was hanging, but I then figured out that the display shows incorrect information (progress bar, and 1 sec left).

Using Alt-Ctrl-Del for starting the Task Manager and looking (via "More Details") at resource consumption, it showed that the Dell OS Recovery Tool had low CPU load but consistently used disk bandwidth of about 20MB/sec. I have a hunch that the software, while showing 1 sec left", is actually verifying the burn without giving the user any information about it in the display.

So, I let the app run, and it finished successfully after about 20 minutes of waiting (ballpark calculation: 16GB * 20MB/sec = 16 * 1.2GB/min = 19.2 minutes). 

FWIW, I tried this as both Admin and as regular user -- with no difference at all.   

GBT2017
1 Copper

Dell OS Recovery Tool I am trying to create a OS Recovery via Dell OS Recovery Tool, but after choose the image. I cannot download anything. It keep saying my internet connection is interrupt. Is this Dell problem?
0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

The tool does not work if you do not have DOTNET installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054530/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-offline-installer-for...

The tool will not allow a download if you are in KOREA.

The issues are not Dell they are with your ISP and Location.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
GBT2017
1 Copper

First, I am not from Korea. Second, DOTNET installed, because previously without that the Dell OS Recovery Tool is unusable.
0 Kudos