Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 24th, 2018 04:00

Dell OS Recovery Tool Windows 10 download fails

I am trying to use the Dell OS Recovery tool to setup a USB drive to rebuild an Inspiron 3552 with a crashed Hdd. Every attempt to bring down the Windows 10 image fails, whether it stops midway or at the very last bit. I have tried several different locations home and at work; faster and slower bandwidth morning and night. No matter what I tried the download fails. I am starting to think this is a sick joke, I am able to bring down the image using the Microsoft tool, so is the problem Dell related? The USB drive is 16GB and I have tried formatting it as Fat32, NTFS this does not seem to matter either. I am using a Dell Latitude 7480 with Windows 10. Any suggestion are welcome.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 24th, 2018 05:00

johnmickler,

Take a look at the link below. There is also a couple of videos that may help you.

Dell Windows Backup Media and Recovery Options

January 24th, 2018 07:00

Hi, my problem is when the download bar reaches 1 second remaining with 6.37GB showing as downloaded that it fails. Time and time again as though it is getting ready to write? So it starts the whole procedure over.... never completes...

John

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 24th, 2018 09:00

I couldn't get it to work on all my systems either. If you go to your Downloads folder there should be a Dell Folder and the .iso should be present in it. You can use Rufus to make the Bootable USB with the .iso. More details here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/creating-a-windows-10-bootable-usb-for-a-uefi-bios/

1 Message

August 30th, 2018 22:00

This happened to me on my XPS 13" 9370. It got stuck right at the end of the download and the status was showing random amounts of time left remaining. The CPU also shot up.

I cancelled, closed the app, and reopened it in "Run as administrator" mode. It had to redownload the whole file again, but this time it worked. I'm not sure if "Run as administrator" was the difference or not.

Hope this helps someone :Yes:

2 Posts

November 28th, 2018 06:00

for me it sat at 0 seconds for another 15 minute.  it eventually finished.  

1 Message

December 24th, 2018 00:00

I just got an Inspiron 14 7472 and encountered the "1 sec left" problem when burning the USB stick. 

At first, I thought the USB burn was hanging, but I then figured out that the display shows incorrect information (progress bar, and 1 sec left).

Using Alt-Ctrl-Del for starting the Task Manager and looking (via "More Details") at resource consumption, it showed that the Dell OS Recovery Tool had low CPU load but consistently used disk bandwidth of about 20MB/sec. I have a hunch that the software, while showing 1 sec left", is actually verifying the burn without giving the user any information about it in the display.

So, I let the app run, and it finished successfully after about 20 minutes of waiting (ballpark calculation: 16GB * 20MB/sec = 16 * 1.2GB/min = 19.2 minutes). 

FWIW, I tried this as both Admin and as regular user -- with no difference at all.   

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2019 06:00

The tool does not work if you do not have DOTNET installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054530/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-offline-installer-for-windows

The tool will not allow a download if you are in KOREA.

The issues are not Dell they are with your ISP and Location.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2019 06:00

Dell OS Recovery Tool I am trying to create a OS Recovery via Dell OS Recovery Tool, but after choose the image. I cannot download anything. It keep saying my internet connection is interrupt. Is this Dell problem?

3 Posts

March 18th, 2019 07:00

First, I am not from Korea. Second, DOTNET installed, because previously without that the Dell OS Recovery Tool is unusable.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2019 10:00

"1 sec left" problem when burning the USB stick. "

If the usb stick is not actually 16 or 32 gigs then the utility will fail

I have the most success with specific units from sandisk.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-SDCZ50-016G-Flash/dp/B0746GNC1S

Smaller than 16 gigs doesnt work nor does larger than 32.

These are USB 2.0 devices

Unfortunately these are counterfeited. 1 2 and 4 gig devices are reprogrammed to say they are 16 or 32 gigs.

That's why I only buy them from amazon using my prime account.

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-memory-professional-cards/Fake-32gb-ultra-card/td-p/304539

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-D6tYBX8vE

1 Message

June 23rd, 2019 00:00

Hi ,

I get the following error while extracting the recover.iso file.  I fails due to stupid PNG file it cannot remove because the recovery tool  is using this picture in it's GUI.

"19-06-23 09:36:23,985 [1] [ERROR] CacheSystemImage ex: System.Net.WebException: An exception occurred during a WebClient request. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Dell\OS Recovery Tool\Downloads\CloudOSRI\SystemImage\XXXXXXX.png' because it is being used by another process.  "

No Events found!