Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 5th, 2017 07:00

Dell Optiplex 3040 with Win10 Pro - Creator Update 1607 and 1703 will not install

This machine is not connected to a domain. It is in a homeoffice workgroup with full local admin rights.

The feature updates 1607 and 1703 will not install during Windows Update. They fail constantly. I tried downloading the standalone installers for them but they fail as well stating that they are "not applicable to this computer". I even downloaded the standalone installer for creator update 1709, which had not yet shown up in the customers Windows Update just see if it would work and it failed with the same message as well.

I've uninstalled the antivirus and tried the Windows Update reset procedures outlined on Microsoft support help article 971058 but same issue. Before resorting to reinstalling Windows I was hoping maybe someone here could shed some light on the situation. As a sidenote, all other Windows updates work fine. Its just those 3 that fail.

I know this is primarily a hardware forum but I posted here to confirm a claim from a tech who responded to this question when I posted it on Reddit claiming these creator updates were not compatible with these Dells which makes no sense to me.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

20 Posts

December 5th, 2017 08:00

While what you say is totally true when its connected to a domain environment this 3040 is not. It is in a homeoffice enviromnent with full local admin rights. It would not have any limitations in this scenario.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 5th, 2017 08:00

A general comment.  The Windows version you have may be an issue.  Its not that its not compatible with Dell, its that some updates will not install on Enterprise versions as they leave it up to the corporate IT department on when/if they want to implement the updates on corporate systems.

Considering you have an OptiPlex (one of Dell's business system lines) this may be the case.

No Events found!