Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2017 20:00

Dell Precision 5520 with Dell wireless 1820 in Windows 10 anniversary

The precision 5520 is available with two wireless cards, the dell wireless 1820 (when configured with ubuntu) and the Intel WiFi Link 8265 (when configured with windows 10).  I have the 1820 and ubuntu, but I also want to use windows 10.  When I installed windows 10, the card worked fine.  However, when I installed the anniversary update, the card stopped working.  In the device manager, it said that the device cannot start (code 10).  On the dell website, there are only drivers listed for the Intel WiFi Link 8265 card, and none for the 1820, so I couldn't install any drivers.  

Does anyone know how to make the 1820 card work under windows 10 anniversary?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 8th, 2017 09:00

Rolling back the drivers doesn't work, but I found another solution.  I connected to the internet via ethernet, and then in the device manager told windows to search for drivers online, which then fixed the problem.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 08:00

Please try the 1820 WiFi drivers here. This was under another system but is the same card and have been updated since the Anniversary update. I would recommend uninstalling the current driver via the Device Manager. 

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Brad

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 16:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried installing the driver you linked in Windows 10 (without the anniversary update), and the wifi stopped working (in the device manager, it said the card was disabled, and when I enabled it, it gave the error that the device cannot start).  I rolled back the drivers (and the wifi worked again) and updated to windows 10 anniversary.  In anniversary, I installed the driver you linked again, and it did the same thing.  Do you have any other ideas?  Is there any way I can get more information?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

February 7th, 2017 16:00

If you rollback the WiFi driver now does it start working again? Unfortunately since this system when configured with Win10 it was sold with the Intel card it might be an easier fix to just change the card to the Intel, but if you don't want to do that one other thing you could try would be forcing an older driver (if the rollback doesn't work). Unfortunately code 10 is pretty generic.

Let me know if the rollback works, or if you're interested in changing the card I can send you links to the Service Manual and where to purchase.

Best regards,

Brad 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

February 8th, 2017 13:00

Glad to hear you got it working and thanks for the update! That's certainly a lot easier solution!

No Events found!