Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2016 07:00

Dell Update software not picking up new drivers

Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS13 9350 - only a month old. Everything is wonderful so far but Dell Update software sometimes does not pick up on new drivers. The other days, BIOS 1.4.4 and two new thunderbolt drivers and firmware were uploaded to the Dell website. I ran Dell Update but it did not download those and said my computer was up to date. Yes, I can go to the website and download them manually but the Dell Update software is very convenient. Any thoughts?

Thanks all,

AJ

July 7th, 2016 02:00

Mine is a Dell Inspiron 3542.

(1) Dell Update Application - that puts an icon into the Tray & promises to work like Windows Update - never did work. It activated at each boot & said I was up-to-date, but the site had greater versions of drivers both in Win 8.1 & later in Win 10. I uninstalled it, & will never take it again.

(2) Dell Support Assist (also puts an icon, well, near the Tray) appears to work but only popped-up a notification to me twice of BIOS updates, skipping all other drivers, even other BIOS updates. I can click its Notifications button to see the others & have it install them. That works. But, like Dell Detect, it doesn't get them all. But I keep Support Assist because it has so many more additional capabilities.

(3) Dell Detect Drivers at the support site works - but doesn't detect them all. I got 5 that way - & 9 more through "Find It Myself". I don't like Dell Detect Drivers, because it installs them all as a group with little/no feedback. And it didn't request a reboot, which proved to be necessary for completion of one of them.

(4) Find It Myself at the site has them all - too many, actually. Downloading & installing them that way has plenty of information screens. But...

(a) Don't take the nVidia graphics driver, if you've only got Intel Graphics.

(b) Don't take the 1704 Wireless driver, if you've got 1705 Wireless like me.

(c) I never took Dell Foundation Services (not sure what it does).

(d) You already know I won't take Dell Update Application.

No Events found!