Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 14th, 2017 16:00

Dell Update

So while we're getting nowhere fixing my audio problems, can we get somewhere with the Dell update nagging me to install some OS Support tools every three days. I click yes, it begins the install, and then it doesn't finish and immediately says it's done. Three days later. Hey let's install that thing again.

I posted about this in the old thread. No one responded. Some people have had this issue fixed. No one said how or why.

I have a Dell XPS 13. I've checked for new updates, drivers, whatever.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 14th, 2017 17:00

Do you remember exactly what the message says.  A couple of weeks ago I was getting notices about SupportAssist.

If you have a 9365, you will givet the notice to install the Sensor update, which will not update.

August 14th, 2017 17:00

It says Support Assist OS Recovery. Whenever it checks for an update, it finds the same one because it never installs properly. The loading bar appears and then disappears immediately and says it's done.

August 21st, 2017 17:00

Still happening. Getting very boring.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 21st, 2017 18:00

Maybe we are talking apples and oranges.  There is a SupportAssist utility in the Dell folder on the apps listing on the Start Menu.  You may also have another listing which shows Dell SupprtAssist, which seems to be an installer.  I had to run mine as Admin to get it to run.

I am not sure what you mean by "OS Recovery" unless that is happening during the boot phase.

August 22nd, 2017 05:00

Why does the tray icon say I'm up to date but this Support Assist program has found multiple driver updates for me to download? At this point, I don't blame anyone for not being able to help me. This is pure incompetency from whoever designed this stuff.

August 22nd, 2017 05:00

There is a Dell Update icon in my tray, bottom right. It automatically checks for new updates and always finds the same update, downloads it, asks me to install, says it has installed then finds the exact same update again two days later. The update is called Support Assist OS recovery.

I am attempting to run and now update the Support Assist software you mentioned. I also got a drivertoaster error upon opening it, haha. I honestly think software developers are having a laugh now. Driver toaster. What is this? I don't even...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 09:00

When I was doing mine I got the DriverToaster.exe warning once.  Since folks have been getting those, maybe that is what the update is for.  But after I ran the update shown, the messages regarding the update disappeared

My current SupportAssist version is:

Version 2.0.6875.402

SupportAssist /agent Version 2.0.1.7

August 22nd, 2017 10:00

The SupportAssist thing is here:

www.dell.com/.../introduction

This is not the same thing that you asked me to run as an admin. It is something that is run from the boot screen. And whatever it is, it is failing to update ad nauseam. I've found a good many other posts on this board dating back to the beginning of the year. None of them are useful.

I don't understand what you mean when you say the "downloaded version". Frankly I'm having trouble understanding what SupportAssist is as you refer to it. There's the SupportAssist program that you asked me to run as an administrator. There's the Dell Update in the tray. And there's SupportAssist OS recovery tools, which wants updating. What do you want me to uninstall? I can't see anything called SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools on my computer.

Mine is version 2.0.6875.402

Agent version 2.0.2.21

This update that it is trying to install does not appear if I run the Dell Support Assist software manually or manually as an administrator.

I do however have many many system even application errors, none of which mean anything to me.

Again, we may not be on the same page here. I don't think the program you asked me to run as an administrator is the problem. SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools is, as far as I can tell from Dell's own website, software for recovering files etc.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

If it still won't work, you might try downloading and installing directly.  Possibly that is how I got the entry shown above.

www.dell.com/.../support-center

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

You might be correct, but I did see the same errors as you saw.  I do not remember seeing the SEC... errors in the performance log.

You can uninstall SupportAssist if you wanted to go that way.  Then reboot and install the downloaded version.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 18:00

On the system I have which has the Dell OS Recovery Tools, they show version 1.2.5.0.

I remember using it to create a Dell Recovery USB drive.  I am not showing the Dell updater as having an update for that utility...

I finally got the Wi-Fi driver to install which was telling me it was blocked.  Maybe one of the utilities I downloaded may have helped but still getting 80+ SARemediation errors an hour.

Since just this afternoon, I have had one BSOD caused by the Intel video driver and a Black Screen freeze, this 9 month old system is having some issues.  Most of which I believe the Dell utilities have a hand in.

August 22nd, 2017 19:00

Mine does not have anything called Dell OS Recovery Tools, nor can I find anywhere to download it. I'm considering deleting the Dell Update app. Is the SupportAssist software not sufficient?

No Events found!