Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2015 19:00

Dell XPS 27 Thunderbolt Port not recognize by Windows 10

Hi, I have the Dell XPS 2720 (2013) and I have a thunderbolt port in the back of the computer that worked great for my thunderbolt external drive when I had windows 8.1 installed but now since I installed Windows 10. The external drive is not recognize by the thunderbolt port. 

I don't know how to fix this or if there is no current driver out set to fix this but I'm sure other people are having the same problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

February 17th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

I've got the same problem.

But when i updated to Windows 10 my WD My Passport RAID-0 Thunderbold-Drive worked fairly fine (crashed some times, wasn't recogniced every time, very slow) but suddenly it stoped working and even my Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt will not be recognised.

March 25th, 2016 02:00

Have you been to your support site? "START, All apps, Contact Support, My Device" likely will get you to...

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-27-2720-aio/drivers

I see there are Win 10 drivers there. Compare the versions to what you see in Device Manager. Click "Find it myself", enter your service tag (on a sticker under the computer), & ensure the site is set for Win 10...

Now open each category in turn to see what is offered. Compare them to...

(a)  "R-Clk START, Device Manager".

Click the arrows at left to open branches. D-Clk the devices for properties...

(b) "R-Clk START, Programs & Features".

(c) "R-Clk START, Run, type 'MSInfo32', & ENTER" to see current BIOS version.

Notes

1. I don't like Dell Update Application. It never worked for me.

2. I won't take Dell Foundation Services Application until I know for sure what it is.

3. I doubt all XPS 2720's are equipped the same. So, don't take a driver unless you see the device in Device Manager or it appears in Programs & Features. (I know that is true for my Inspiron 3542.)

What Thunderbolt external drive do you have? Likely it has a support site too.

March 25th, 2016 17:00

I tried several things - nothing helped to bringing my thunderbolt back to life.

All drivers are up to date.

The Dell-Support wasn't able to help me. They said it's an Windows Problem.

March 25th, 2016 18:00

Who is the manufacturer & what is the model of the Thunderbolt drive? Does it have a Web site? Did you run the hardware tests in Support Assist or at your support site? There may also be hardware tests in BIOS. But I really think it is not a hardware issue, as the problem surfaced only after the upgrade to Win 10.

(I'll BING around more later.)

March 25th, 2016 19:00

It's a WD My Passport Pro 4TB - PC-formated but unfortunately my Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt™ will not be recognized as well.

So it couldn't be the hard drive - it works perfect on my macbook.

March 25th, 2016 23:00

Have you been here...?...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

They've got a forum. I took a quick, unsuccessful look for you. But I'm still deep in an as yet unsuccessful, separate BING for the OP.

For the WD, many articles come up here. I hope one helps...

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/index.aspx?s=thunderbolt+windows+10&c=540&lang=en

I think it is Win 10 problem, but maybe the manufacturers have addressed.

EDIT 3/28: The following search...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=windows+thunderbolt+port+won%27t+work&start=10

...reveals this problem also occurred during prior upgrades, such as from Win 8 to Win 8.1. I think MS has failed to migrate your drivers properly or failed to update them. Can you identify in Device Manager which driver pertains to the Thunderbolt port - maybe it is under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers & maybe you need to "show hidden devices" to see it. Also try to identify which drivers (if any) pertain specifically to the WD drive & to the Blackmagic design shuttle. Even if the drivers state they are working, it may be worth a shot to un/re-install them or to seek an update to them. I see a WD person also wishes to help, good for him.

March 26th, 2016 16:00

(I posted earlier, but it has disappeared.)

I've been to...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

There appears to be a photo of a different full-fledged engineer there each time I go. Although I think this is a Windows 10 error, perhaps one of them may become engaged. They do want to keep their Shuttle customers, I'm sure. The forum there also has smart people, looks like.

18 Posts

March 28th, 2016 01:00

Hey there,

Have you run any diagnostic tools on the WD My Passport Pro drive? I'd recommend getting WD Drive Utilities and run all the tests and see if the drive passes all of them just to be on the safe side it's not the cause of the problem. 

There may be problems with the new MS OS and its Thunderbolt drivers so I'd contact both Dell's support and our live support. 

Captain_WD.

June 20th, 2016 03:00

I found some interesting informations on the web that other users with an Western Digital My Passport Pro Thunderbolt destroyed their Thunderbolt-Port on their iMac so that they have to replace the Logicboard/Mainboard.

***!!!

Maybe that's the reason why my port doesn't work.

I contacted the WD-Service but got no replay untill now. But I think they will do anything not to be responsive for the damage.

June 20th, 2016 21:00

I found some interesting informations on the web that other users with an Western Digital My Passport Pro Thunderbolt destroyed their Thunderbolt-Port on their iMac so that they have to replace the Logicboard/Mainboard.

***!!!

Maybe that's the reason why my port doesn't work.

I contacted the WD-Service but got no replay untill now. But I think they will do anything not to be responsive for the damage.

A pity 3 months have passed, & still there is no resolution for you - not from MSFT, Dell, Thunderbolt, or WD. But is WD still looking at it?

Maybe try clicking to update drivers again in Device Manager to see whether something new comes in.

18 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hey, I'm sorry the problem is still here. Could you post links with the info that you have found? I'm not aware of any known issue with the WD My Passport Pro and Thunderbolt ports. Do you have another system to check if the drive works at all and to try to narrow things down to either the drive or to the computer itself? 

I'd try contacting the place where you got the drive from and see if other customers had the same problem. 

Captain_WD.

No Events found!