Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2016 11:00

Disk Image

Want to disk image my new Win 10 system on a USB flash drive. Drive has 3 times the capacity, Clicked in "create disk image", got error message that format has to be NTFS, not FAT32, Re-formatted to NTFS, then got error that the location is not valid. Dell tech support couldn't help. I did do an image on an old USB hard drive, however. What's wrong?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 21st, 2016 07:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

How to Create A Bootable Windows 10 USB Drive

https://youtu.be/lJcXHZc8-So

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you go to nearest Walmart and buy a new(16GB) flash drive. I recommend SanDisk Cruzer Glide flash drive. I also recommend looking at buying a external drive as well - recommend Seagate backup drive). You can backup a system image, photos, music, documents and other important stuff to that external drive.

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 10

https://youtu.be/rtPrM3-k0jQ

17 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 01:00

I doubt that there were data loss when converting the format. Do you want to make a new disk image now?

2 Posts

September 26th, 2016 11:00

Hi Guys. Thanks for the ideas. I DO have a San Disk 126GB flash that doesn't allow a dick image as mentioned. At the time I had 59GB of data. I was told that the failure was due to the fact that an image writes the whole drive (225GB) empty cells and all and that's why it won't fit. That's not true because on the Toshiba (below) the total image was only 59GB.  I did do an image on a 500GB Toshiba USB hard drive, however, there was an error (?) message popup at the bottom right of my screen, but, it didn't stay up long enough to read. I do not trust that image. It took 31/2 hours with that old clunker (Xfer rate=25MG/S). Now I have 105GB on the system drive.

No Events found!