Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2018 06:00

E6410 Win 10 1803 update UEFI

I have 5 E6410 machines here with latest A17 BIOS and fully updated to Win10 ver 1803. Four of the machines are set up in Legacy boot mode, and they run fine. However the fifth machine has been set up in UEFI boot mode and has run Win 10 fine up to the 1803 update. Since then, the machine fails to shutdown completely with the power button remaining illuminated. If I press the button for a few seconds, the machine fully shuts down. Is there a fix for this?

8 Posts

September 14th, 2018 09:00

In the end I gave up with Macrium Reflect. I hosed the disk, set BIOS to Legacy, and did a clean install of Win 10, fully updated. Runs ok no probs.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2018 16:00

I have the same exact problem after a clean install on our e6410 laptops of Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64 along with the latest A17 Dell BIOS (set to UEFI instead of Legacy).

Apparently this is a common issue although nothing I tried has worked (see links below in regards).

You will notice in the posts below reports that rolling back to W10 build 1709 resolves the shutdown issue, alternatively you can install Windows with MBR in Legacy mode set in BIOS rather than GPT & UEFI which is the preferred method but causes this issue on the latest version of Windows 10).

And of course, there's my favorite solution - Linux Mint Cinnamon; try it on a USB Liveboot and forget all this Windows nonsense!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2978b053-068a-4994-b2ed-f8b599ca2ac4/dell-pc-fail-to-shut-down-after-win-10-1803-feature-upgrade?forum=win10itprogeneral

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7ecc7077-7666-46a6-8eaf-d1def185c38b/dell-laptop-fails-to-shut-down-after-upgrade-to-win10-1803?forum=win10itprogeneral

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/2978b053-068a-4994-b2ed-f8b599ca2ac4/dell-pc-fail-to-shut-down-after-win-10-1803-feature-upgrade?forum=win10itprogeneral

From what I've seen there's it's something to do with the Intel Management Engine and AMT/IME

8 Posts

August 27th, 2018 03:00

Thanks for your reply, and for confirming what I suspected - that I should convert this machine to MBR.

However, I am  unsure about how to go about it, never having been here before. I could do with a bit of help.  So far, I have made a Macrium reflect image on an external usb drive, and prepared a winpe boot usb stick.

I am trying to follow the procedure I found in the Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase "Restoring a UEFI/GPT System image to MBR" : https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=6426676

One thing puzzles me - At what point do I set Legacy mode in my BIOS - its not mentioned in the procedure.

February 22nd, 2019 12:00

Here's a non-destructive method that worked for me. 

Recently this shutdown issue happened on my E6510 when I jumped into Windows 10 1809 from Windows 7.  My SSD had been formatted GPT many months ago and may have always been that way.  The problem seems to be compatibility with Dell’s support for UEFI BIOS along with Windows 10 1803 and 1809 support for UEFI.  Other Windows releases may be problematic too.  This issue leaves you with a laptop the will not fully shutdown and may also have issues starting and restarting.  The fix is to convert the disk back to MBR as long as your drive is less than 2TB in size this can be done non-destructively with a little extra work. 

This is how I did it.  Your success may be determined by your skill level.  And I’m assuming you are familiar with content and processes described below.  Always start by making an image backup or two first.  Know your backup software functionally and be familiar on how to restore from it if ever needed.  This includes creating a rescue CD/USB to perform your restoral of your laptop's boot drive. 

Make sure you only have at most 4 partitions (MBR’s maximum) on your GPT boot drive.  Install the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard.  I used version 11.0.1.  Right click on the GPT boot disk and select "Convert GPT Disk to MBR” and apply.   You will get a warning that the system may not boot after.   Please note, this is true, it will not.  Now you need to boot from a Windows install disk or USB, I used the same DVD I used for my in-place upgrade to Windows 10 1809.  If you don’t have an install disk do this first or do it on another computer, it’s best to get one by downloading and running Microsoft’s “Media Creation Tool 1809” and then download and create as an ISO and burn to DVD or USB.   Using F12 at startup boot from this media to get to the “Repair your Computer” option, then select “Troubleshoot”, and last select “Command Prompt”.   From there keep changing drive letters until you see your boot drive.  Then run the command “bcdboot \Windows” from this drive letter.   I did not use a drive letter as I was already in the root directory of my drive boot drive.   Reboot and enter BIOS with “F2” and change boot setting from “UEFI” to “Legacy” adjust your boot order if needed or wanted.  Reboot.  You have completed a Non-Destructive GPT to MBR conversion.  My system now properly shuts downs and reboots without issues.   Hope this helps.

1 Message

October 18th, 2019 12:00

Your solution works very well !

Thank you

1 Message

February 16th, 2020 22:00

I had a similar problem with my E6510. This works perfectly. You are a life saver. Thank you so much. I must though before anyone can try it please do a bit of more research on the steps in this procedure if your skills are not that good. In my case Youtube and Google helped a lot.

4 Posts

March 26th, 2020 13:00

Thanks @yellow-jacket, I got my laptop upgraded to Windows 10 thanks to your help!
In case anyone else needs help, here was my situation:
I had a E6410 with BIOS vA17 and Windows 7 booting with UEFI/GPT.
Trying to use MediaCreationTool1909.exe gave an install error.

0x8007001F – 0x20006
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

I didn't have a Windows 7 install disc and the Windows 7 repair disc didn't work because there's a bug that prevents a bootable disc from being created when the primary partition is on UEFI GPT.
Instead, I created a dual bootable (BIOS/MBR and UEFI/GPT) WinPE USB drive using the Media Builder tool that comes with MiniTool ShadowMaker.  It contains the programs needed to repair a windows partition.
Once I got Windows 7 switched over to BIOS/MBR using @yellow-jacket's instructions, the MediaCreationTool1909.exe worked. 

February 15th, 2021 06:00

This non destructive downgrade from UEFI to MBR works also for E6510 [the 15" version] with W10 20H2.

Excellent. Problems solved.

1 Message

November 18th, 2021 12:00

Just fantastic, thanks a lot!

I used "MiniTool Partition Wizard 12.5" and USB-Stick created with "Media Creation Tool 21H2". Maybe it's worth mentioning that after select "Convert GPT Disk to MBR” and "apply" the laptop has to boot once more to fulfill the tasks of conversion: It then reboots with MiniTool Partition Wizard in command line modus. Just let this happen, while still on UEFI Boot option.

After that changing to Legacy (MBR) and booting into USB media is neccesary to repair the boot block with bcdboot. I had to do that on partition E: where my /Windows resides. 

1 Message

November 19th, 2021 17:00

Thanks... Great fix!

I had issues booting again from my USB, however I used the repair tool on my Win 7 DVD and it has worked perfectly to repair the win 10 install and now I have goo shutdown. Dell E6410 Lattitude

No Events found!