Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2016 11:00

Error: This is not a supported system

I've updated my Dell XPS 15 9530 to Windows 10 Home via a clean install. I have verified this is now the current operating system on the laptop. I've gone to Dell's website to download drivers, etc. The first thing I am trying to install is Dell's QuickSet Utility. I of course have tried to download and install it multiple times ensuring I selected the corresponding OS. When I try to install it, I get the error "This is not a supported system." Is what Dell has updated the incorrect files for my new OS??? I've getting this same error with all the Dell files. Thanks in advance for the help.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 12:00

The first thing you should be installing is the chipset.

Also, the only Windows 10 version that is supported is 64-bit not the 32-bit.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 12:00

Dell says to install Dell System Software first (www.dell.com/.../SLN128938). That's why I was doing it first. What makes you say chipset first?

Here's where 64 bit is support by Dell (www.dell.com/.../SLN297954). Mine was 64 bit originally from Dell. Dell's download site also has Windows 10 64 bit files for my model. Where did you see only 32 bit plz?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 09:00

Before doing anything else--check for activation of windows 10. You cannot activate windows 10 after a clean install without first doing the standard upgrade unless you have the activation key for your previous windows. Since win 8.1 is embedded win 8.1 needs to be running when you start the upgrade.

Windows 10 requires the windows 10 dell drivers and software. Read this for the activation rules--

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Use Dell System Detect on the support page for your model to get the correct win 10 drivers for your approved model. Since your model is approved for upgrading, dell will have the right drivers.

105 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 15:00

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First, www.tenforums.com/.../23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html.

If Windows 10 works well after the install, don´t bother with Dell drivers. Check the Device Manager for problems, only use Dell drivers if there are drivers problems.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 15:00

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First, www.tenforums.com/.../23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html.

Foolhardy move since Windows 10 won't be activated.

No Events found!