Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2016 07:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Factory restore/reset will not complete

I'm trying to reset/restore my Inspiron all-in-one running Windows 10 while saving my personal files. It gets to 22% complete and stops. The only details I get says "Unable to reset you PC. No files have been changed"

What is going on and how can I do the reset

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 19th, 2016 21:00

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming you're trying to reset from Update & Security(Recovery/Reset This PC)? If yes, I'd suggest you try from Advanced Startup. Please go back to Update & Security,click on Recovery, and then Advanced Startup( Restart now). Stroll down to Troubleshoot, click on it, and then Reset this PC.

1 Message

July 19th, 2016 22:00

I’m a frequent Dell customer, and I’m also having problems resetting my Mom’s Inspiron 15R 5520.  Ran into slight problems upgrading to Windows 10 via a Windows update in March, but the real problem began today when I tried to disable Mom’s Microsoft Live account because she felt it was annoying.  All things possible then went haywire – on all Admin accounts, the Left-Click Start stopped working, the Taskbar and Task Tray Icons became disabled, Admin user accounts can no longer be managed, and access has been restricted to the C:\drive.  Booted into Safe Mode to do a factory reset.  Went to Troubleshooting > Advanced Options and tried every possible option there is for Reset and Restore.  Each ended with “A Problem was detected”.  No disc was received from Dell at purchase, so I’m unable to do a manual reset, and contacting Dell supported won’t help because I don't believe they can even remote into the laptop.  Tried running Powershell to repair the Start Left-Click, and many command at the CMD prompt seem to be missing, e.g., 'ms-settings'.

Any help or direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  This laptop was purchased for my 83 y/o Mom as a birthday present a couple of years ago, and has rarely ever been used (~ 4-5x).  Her heart is broken!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 07:00

:emotion-2:

It also a possibility the old windows folder could be causing problems with the Reset option. I'd suggest you check Storage settings for old windows folder and consider removing it. Please click on link below:

How to delete old windows in windows 10

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+delete+old+windows+in+windows+10&form=PRUSEN&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=1c0b85096168469d91d5768101317074&qs=AS&pq=how+to+delete+old+windows+&sk=AS1&sc=8-26&sp=2&cvid=1c0b85096168469d91d5768101317074

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 08:00

13 Posts

July 20th, 2016 18:00

I doubt it's option 2 -- The computer came with W-10 as the o/s -- I had to upgrade my old laptop from W-8.1 to W-10, but not this one. I'm going to try Suggestion 1 later tonight just before I shut down for the night. Hopefully it'll work and fix the underlying issue leading to the need for a reset. I'll post an update when the process finishes playing out.

13 Posts

July 26th, 2016 22:00

Nothing works. I discovered a fix though -- get rid of Windows in favor of Linux, or cut your losses and buy a Mac. Windows owns your PC, not you.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 27th, 2016 09:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'm sorry the suggestions didn't help....:emotion-6:

I have one more suggestion, download Dell Windows Recovery Image from the link below. Hopefully it will help. Good luck.

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

By the way, please list Dell model number for Dell reps and others to see and perhaps help resolve your problem. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543

13 Posts

July 28th, 2016 16:00

Just one question before I go this route (and BTW, thank you for being so willing to help -- it is appreciated even if I occasionally seem testy): does this wipe all of my files (i.e. music, photos, videos, Word docs, etc) from the hard drive? Or is it the reset that preserves personal data?

13 Posts

July 30th, 2016 15:00

Not only did the above not work, now my computer doesn't work at all. I can get to a screen showing the same reset options, not a one of which works, and after telling me it cannot reset (and mind you, I'm using the recovery flash drive I created at Dell following the instructions in the above links), and then I'm brought to a screen offering 1. The same reset options and 2. Turn off the computer. Windows won't load, and I've tried every last one of the options listed. Now I have a computer I bought for $1,000 last January that might make a nice monitor -- if I'm lucky. If I'm not lucky, and it sure seems to be the case right now, I'm stuck with a thousand dollar piece of junk. Right now, I'm using an old HP laptop running Linux.

I will never buy another Dell product, and I will not hesitate to share my highly negative opinion if I'm asked. I'm a Consumer Reports subscriber, and I intend to share my opinion there. I'm just a single consumer, so I don't matter. Fine Dell can KMA, Dell used to be a sign of quality products. Not any more. Sad, very sad. They can KMA. The company deserves to go bankrupt.

1 Message

July 25th, 2018 21:00

Amen!!  Trying to reset my $1000 laptop to pawn off/sell as I just bought a HP and am extremely happy so far.  My Dell is only 11 months old. 😓  problems started right away and this was the 3rd laptop they had sent me.  First one was a 2 in 1, didn't want that.  Second was what I wanted but screen was broke and finally received this current one and over 6 mos ran into all kinds of problems.  Dell no longer has the product they use to have!  Sad.....

1 Message

October 7th, 2018 17:00

Same happened to me. Cats reset my alienware. Did an nvidia update and my comp was gone

1 Message

December 29th, 2019 23:00

I tried to reset my Del laptop as it was misbehaving , while reseting I was taking too long so I decided to remove the battery ,now its not booting or starting again ,,it just shows dell and restarts continuously 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 30th, 2019 09:00

No Events found!