mbacalla
1 Nickel

Failure to install Windows 10 either way. Help!

Here is my dilemma where I need help on. I have a Del XPS 8700 which originally came with Win8. I upgraded to Wi 8.1 when it became available with no problems. I have migrated from the original hard disk to a SSD which works with no problem. I have the notice that I can go ahead and install Win 10, which I have done a number of times in regular mode, safe mode, all peripherals/USB HDs disconnected, you name it and the installation fails. The computer restarts after setting up the Win 10 setup files and on the second reboot it kicks me back into the old Win 8.1 setup with an error message that Windows update had failed. The error message is worthless after looking up the responses on the Microsoft board.

Now for my second try. I downloaded the Win 10 installation to a USB from the Microsoft site. I booted from the USB and the installation started. First thing I was asked for was the Windows product key. After much searching I managed to get it using Belarc Advisor. I used that key and the installation program came back telling me it was not a good key. Needless to say, I could not proceed with the installation of Win 10.

Update; I have now updated the BIOS and video drivers to the latest release and still cannot install Win 10. The product key is not recognized as good by the install program.

Does anyone here have a solution to this issue? I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mksj
1 Copper

RE: Failure to install Windows 10 either way. Help!

I have a Dell Latitude 7350, did exactly the same thing as you and got the same error message that the lic. key that I retrieved from memory is not valid. Spoke to Dell as these are embedded into the machine ROM, so it is a hardware issue if a valid lic. key cannot be obtained. Both Dell hardware and software techs were of no value, called Microsoft and as part of a business account, they want $$$ to even speak to anyone. I have a half dozen computers that wouldn't even show the upgrade icon, for what little worth it is. As usual hung out to dry by both hardware and software companies. Will probably be dropping purchase of Dell machines in my business if they cannot answer basic technical questions. Would be interested if someone has a solution, as this must be a common issue for newer Dells the all uses the embed lic. technology.

0 Kudos
mksj
1 Copper

Well by doing some more review of threads, the answer is more or less spelled out in this post

Installation of Windows 10 from an ISO image aka clean install

Evidently you must do the install via the online download and upgrade in real time to auto detect the embedded Windows licensing number on newer machines (preinstalled with Windows 8/8.1). Using an ISO to upgrade from a USB of DVD drive does not work for some insane reason, and there is no help or messaging on the ISO install to inform you that the initial upgrade can only be done directly, Poo on Microsoft (unless you purchased a new lic. number).  Shame on Dell support for not knowing something so basic, and probably a big issue especially with people that have multiple computers and trying to do ISO installs to save downloading for each machine.

0 Kudos
mbacalla
1 Nickel

I have tried every kind of install and nothing works. All of the install end on the reboot where the system restarts and the clock with the percent of completion comes up. For me it does not even get past 0% and the system kicks out and restarts, taking me back to Win 8.1 and the failure to install message that is pretty worthless when followed up. I am going to try a couple more things this weekend and see what happens.

0 Kudos