Highlighted
Daniel who ...
1 Copper

Fingerprint scanner not working properly Dell Latitude E7470 (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit)

Hello to you all !

I am stubbing to get the fingerprint scanner working on my Dell Latitude E7470.

I already get stuck when i want to set up my fingerprint in Windows Hello. 

I must get my finger on the reader but can wait very long before the reader recognizes a finger on the reader, sometimes it does not see my finger at all ...

I installed the latest Control Vault driver (version A.09)  from the Dell Website.

If i install the previous Control Vault driver (version A.08) i can actually get through the set up from Windows Hello (that goed not very smooth and rather slow but i manage to finish it)  and use the fingerprint scanner BUT it is very slow with recognizing my finger and sometimes it does not recognize it at all ... 

Is there a driver issue from Dell (version A.10 with Latitude E7470) or what is happening here ?

Can someone help me to get the fingerprint scanner work properly ?

Thanks in advantage for your help !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Fingerprint scanner not working properly Dell Latitude E7470 (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit)

Hi Daniel who ...,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:

http://dell.to/2xWt41O

http://dell.to/2xWt4yQ

http://dell.to/2xX0MVi

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Daniel who ...
1 Copper

RE: Fingerprint scanner not working properly Dell Latitude E7470 (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit)

Thanks Robert for your help !

When i try to install the Dell Data Protection|Security Tools driver things are already going the wrong way ...

I removed all the previous software mentioned in the first link and did try to install the new DDP/ST driver (version 1.12.0.21).

All things are going fine till i have to restart the laptop to finish the installation ...

Windows is not starting up at all and i have to go to system recovery to fix this.

The SrtTrail reports that c:\windows\system32\drivers\sedfilter.sys is damaged and the C:\CmgCrypt.SYS for starting up is damaged.

What to do to fix this ?

Edit 8/10/17, actually did fix this by turning off Secure Boot in the bios settings !

However this did not fix the problem with the biometrics...

As mentioned in my first post i really think it is a problem with the Control Vault driver from Dell because with the previous version i actually did get the biometrics functional although slow and sometimes not recognizig my fingerprint.

But with the latest Control Vault driver nothing is gonna happen at all.

So can someone from Dell actually test if this is the case for the Dell E7470 ?

(did try all step mentioned above from Robert)

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well, since you've tried everything, the next thing I could suggest would be to contact Dell Tech Support for further troubleshooting and possible resolution.

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Daniel who ...
1 Copper

I get it working but not with the latest version Control Vault driver (A.09).

But when i go to the site mentioned here below i got the Control Vault driver (A.07) and now it is working but what i already mentioned sometimes it will not respond or respond very slowly.

www.dell.com/.../download-the-broadcom-ush-drivers-and-resolve-unknown-device-issues

But maybe my expectations are to high or something, if i use pin code i am 10 times faster logged in 😉

Thanks for your time and help anyway Robert and maybe i will contact Dell Tech support as i believe this is purely a software issue.

Marc71
1 Copper

I got exactly the same problem here. It seems as if the sedfilter.sys was not signed correctly to work with Windows Secure Boot. Disabling secure boot is not an option at all, so this is a driver issue. Even installing older versions of STInstaller (the sedfilter.sys does not come from the Control Vault Driver installation) does not work. Any other ideas? Just needed to stop a rollout of Windows 10 clients because of this issue ...

0 Kudos