Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2019 23:00

Fingerprint sensor not working after updating to windows 10 1903. (Dell G3 3579)

Goodix Fingerprint sensor not working after windows 10 1903 update on my Dell G3 3579.
It worked while installing windows 10 1903 via iso (which failed to update otherwise), windows hello was all good during setup but after first boot then it just stopped working & driver shows error code 31 on device manager.
I tried updating everything & also tried reinstalling Goodix fingerprint driver but that didn't work either. The fingerprint worked fine on the previous 1809 update of windows 10.

images attached showing errors.Screenshot (20).pngScreenshot (21).pngScreenshot (23).png

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2019 08:00

If you do a clean install there is no reason to wait for updated driver.

1903 is actually done.

1909 2019-11-12 is the current version.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 11th, 2019 14:00

Code 31 is VERY Specific.

The Code 31 error is one of several Device Manager error codes. It's caused by any number of reasons that prevents Windows from loading the driver for the particular hardware device.

" This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31) ". When the Code 31 error occurs in one (or more) device(s), then the corresponding device appears with a yellow exclamation mark sign, next to it, in Device Manager.

8 Posts

January 1st, 2020 01:00

Just wanted to update it got fixed, without re-intalling windows.
I did a couple of things with a guy from nearest dell partner who provided me free technical support at their center, He guided me a little and I did a few things on my own. I don't know what fixed it but I'll go on chronologically.
First I downloaded a utility named UsbSafelyRemove and using this I stopped the power to the fingerprint sensor virtually without having to disconnect it, this removed it from devicemanager by preventing it from getting detected for current session. Then I uninstalled the sensor driver software and it was no longer detected aswell. Then I downgraded the bios using Dells Bios Tool, Meanwhile Microsoft or maybe Dell launched an un-logged/unscheduled automatic update and perhaps a possible patch for windows, I don't know if they did it or if it was windows on its own because it wasn't logged. I then restarted the computer, the sensor was detected and appropriate drivers were automatically installed, didn't check for error at this time. Then my antivirus software also found a simple PUP.Optional.OpenCandy malware, which shouldn't likely have any effect. I enabled Microphone for a skype call and just out of the blue the sensor error code 31 which I was checking for frequently, just disappeared. I have now upgraded my bios and the sensor still appears to work. I believe the miracle was due to the windows update most probably, just for reference I was on windows 10v.1909 before and even now, the update was minor a fix perhaps.
I still don't know what caused the error 31, & which particular update fixed the conflict, was it dell support software which was continuously on or windows, but I'm pretty sure its fixed.
Thanks to all those who helped for your time & support.

1 Message

March 14th, 2020 22:00

Disabling the USB Settings in Device manager worked for me also. I had lost the ability to scan my finger and when I looked into the issue I found the Biometric Devices was no longer in my device manager. I tried reinstalling the driver and was alerted that no fingerprint scanner was found. After reading your post I uninstalled the USB Connections Manager as well as all the items under Universal Serial Bus controllers. I restarted my computer and everything re-installed. including Biometric Devices. Thank you so much!

5.6K Posts

September 17th, 2019 08:00

After installing Windows 10 v1903, did you let it get all updates?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 20th, 2019 06:00

You have registry contamination and possibly malware.

Drivers for USB as well as chipset etc are not loaded.

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Time for clean install starting with 1903 and then all the drivers one at a time via Adminstrator account.

The Reader is not being physically found due to drivers not passing certificate checksums so they are not allowed to load.

8 Posts

September 24th, 2019 22:00

@nyc10036I have a freshly installed windows, I'm also using Malwarebytes, because of I also manually compared & checked all registry items, the registry is fine, there shouldn'y be a malware causing this obstruction, I believe its a hardware driver, compatability issue with new 1903 update, and either the microsoft or the goodix company, or most importantly dell should issue a patch for this.

8 Posts

September 24th, 2019 22:00

yes, @speedstep not just windows updates, but updates through dell update tool as well..

5.6K Posts

September 25th, 2019 06:00

Windows 10 has its own anti-virus.

What I would do is to do another clean installation of Windows 10.

Disconnect from internet when you are doing this.

Remain disconnected and install chipset driver from Dell website that you had downloaded previously onto a USB flash drive.

Reconnect to Internet by Ethernet cable and let Windows 10 update.

In the twenty or more times that I have installed Windows 10, I have never never never been contaminated by malware during the installation.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 4th, 2019 09:00

Rootkits and malware that hide in the partition table or uefi or msr will survive format and reinstall. Malwarebytes wont find this as well.

Rootkit-based malware has been around for years and recently infects the Windows 10 platform, with a major change: It uses a digitally signed driver to bypass Windows 10 protections. Rootkits embedded in a device’s firmware can be more difficult to recover from and clean up. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) rootkits like APT28 was the first UEFI rootkit found in the wild. The rootkit was embedded in the flash memory of a device’s Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI). That gave the rootkit persistence against both reinstallation of the operating system and replacement of the hard drive. Protecting against UEFI infection is possible by enabling the Secure Boot mechanism, which checks that every component and driver loaded by the system is signed with a valid certificate.  Unfortunately when you have drivers that are infected windows will prevent these drivers from loading.

physical corruption,  certificate revocation,  malware and other things will cause files to fail validation.  ELAM will not allow these files/drivers/etc to load EVER.

Windows no longer allows bypass of WHQL certificate checks.

This is why realtek audio drivers get borked all the time now.

The other vector of course is infection in legit installers so that when you go to install the driver you downloaded the malware has already infected the driver and its installer.

Once you are infected in this way does not matter how many times you reinstall you are still infected.

This is proved to my clients all the time by OFFLINE installs onto brand new never before used hard drives.

Then the machine is put online via cellular wireless connection with a local account and no microsoft account.

Once activated it is placed back on the clients network behind a physical firewall.

All windows updates and drivers etc are installed and then the machine is tested.

Everything passes.  We then physically remove the drive and put the clients infected drive back and show them it not working.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2019 10:00

I am very interested on how you came to the conclusion it was malware. From which analysis?

1 Message

November 16th, 2019 13:00

After updating windows 10 to Nov 2019 release my fingerprint scanner stopped working. i am at the moment at insider preview 19013.

This thread is interesting. Are you guys saying a rootkit. deep inside bios disabled the fingerprint scanner.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 17th, 2019 05:00

You have registry contamination and possibly malware.

Drivers for USB as well as chipset etc are not loaded.

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

When the Code 31 error occurs in device(s), then the corresponding device appears with a yellow exclamation mark sign, next to it, in Device Manager.

Just because signature scans do not find malware does not mean malware doesn't exist on the machine.

Just because you reformat hard drive and or replace hard drive does not mean that the malware was removed.  Especially if user files are put back.

Malware can hide in files and partitions and roms and usb flash drives and drives other than the hard drive including network drives.

Drivers not loading are due to certificate failure and or ELAM detecting invalid drivers based on certificates and catalog files.

Some vendors certificates are revoked because they are found to have been compromised by malware. Early Launch Anti-Malware (ELAM) is a Windows security technology that evaluates device and application drivers for malicious code. Fingerprint reader has both App as well as Driver.

• 

25.1K Posts

November 25th, 2019 21:00

Hi,

I hope you're doing good.

I haven't heard from you in a while.

I will go ahead and archive this case for now. Feel free to reach out if you have any concerns.

Here is the reference number 42926041 for our conversation.

Regards,

Gopal

8 Posts

December 11th, 2019 23:00

first person who told me something actually useful on this forum, thankyou
@speedstep Any idea how I should go about fixing it... I've updated & clean installed windows..its still not working..

No Events found!