Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2015 19:00

Forced to do a Clean Install of WIN 10 - How do I get back the Software DELL installed on the machine originally?

Had a nightmare experience 'upgrading' to WIN10  (which I advise anyone with a Latitude 3550 to avoid as long as possible).  On the third reinstall of the OS,  I ended up having to do a somewhat 'clean' install of WIN10 retaining only my files to get the basic functionality of the OS to work.   In the process I lost all the SW that DELL had installed on this PC I just bought 2 weeks ago.   How do I get any of it back or even know what I lost?   

December 26th, 2015 21:00

Had a nightmare experience 'upgrading' to WIN10  (which I advise anyone with a Latitude 3550 to avoid as long as possible).  On the third reinstall of the OS,  I ended up having to do a somewhat 'clean' install of WIN10 retaining only my files to get the basic functionality of the OS to work.   In the process I lost all the SW that DELL had installed on this PC I just bought 2 weeks ago.   How do I get any of it back or even know what I lost?   

Well, turn it around to see its service tag. Then, enter that here...

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-3550-laptop/configuration

Dell Support

Poke around that site, but do nothing rash. It does appear they have Win 10 drivers for you. Work up a plan, & post it for comments. Also, consider registering the computer & calling Dell. Resist any attempt on their part to extract money.

14 Posts

December 27th, 2015 05:00

Alright, I found it.   If anyone has the same situation:

Go to the Dell Support Page and Select MY DELL DOWNLOADS

www.dell.com/.../software-and-downloads

14 Posts

December 27th, 2015 05:00

In the link I posted, you are asked to register the PC.   Unfortunately I received:

Service Tag is not supported.

Looks like I will now have to call DELL support- wonderful 

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 27th, 2015 07:00

In the link I posted, you are asked to register the PC.   Unfortunately I received:

Service Tag is not supported.

Looks like I will now have to call DELL support- wonderful 

https://www.onlineregister.com/dell/?c=US&l=EN

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

"I ended up having to do a somewhat 'clean' install of WIN10 retaining only my files to get the basic functionality of the OS to work ".

-----------------------------------

Right click the App on the screen that says"Removed Apps ".You should see all your programs that has been removed. Secondly,type msinfo32 in Command Prompt (Admin) then press enter, you should see the BIOS version, please write it down Lastly, click on the link below for Drivers & Downloads then click on "Find It Myself ".Please check the BIOS first for the latest version,if need updated, download it. After checking/downloading the latest BIOS, check the rest of the Drivers and Downloads for Dell programs. Download them one at a time or installation order.

www.dell.com/.../advanced

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

You can use the "Guide Me "option instead of the Find It Myself. It automatically detect driver updates for your system.

14 Posts

December 27th, 2015 09:00

The Guide Me option only works if DELL actually input your service tag in their database so you CAN register the machine.   I got the PC on 12/12.  Found out the issue this morning from DELL telephone support, was transferred 3 times and finally was supposed to get to the department that handles that.  Received "this department is closed, call back" recording before it just hung up.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Transfer a Dell warranty or ownership of a Dell Product:

www.dell.com/.../04;l=en&s=bsd&cs=04#/Identify

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Keep in mind, you can use the Find It Myself option. You don't have to download every Dell programs, just download the one's you need. The easiest way to look at all the Dell programs/ drivers is to click on the "installation order ". I know you need Dell Digital Delivery Application( come with Dell softwares). I'd download it. Please check Device Manager for Dell software and compare notes with your Drivers and Downloads page. Some of them just might need to be updating.

For example:

Dell Wireless 1802/1707/1601/1506 WiFi/Bluetooth Driver

Dell Touchpad Driver

SK Hynix Solid State Drive Firmware Update

You can also use Device Manager to update your drivers.Just place the cursor/arrow on them,right click and update the driver.

14 Posts

December 27th, 2015 10:00

Yes I get it LSUFAN51 that you don't have to download each one, but there are 32 drivers- how do you know which ones need to be updated without going through each and every one in both the Drivers and Downloads page and then go through them all.   The Dell Sypro SW requires that the Service Tag is valid- it fails because Dell never got around to loading mine in the last 18 days since they shipped it so the tools see my PC as valid.

14 Posts

December 27th, 2015 10:00

We think alike but the ownership transfer only works if the product is registered already Dell System Detect and registration are the first part of the process and fails-  don't ask me how I know this.

December 27th, 2015 21:00

Yes I get it LSUFAN51 that you don't have to download each one, but there are 32 drivers- how do you know which ones need to be updated without going through each and every one in both the Drivers and Downloads page and then go through them all.   The Dell Sypro SW requires that the Service Tag is valid- it fails because Dell never got around to loading mine in the last 18 days since they shipped it so the tools see my PC as valid.

You need to get them to validate the service tag, then, for the site to work well for you. Even then, due diligence is warranted. For my Dell Inspiron 3542, two graphics drivers (Intel & nVidea) & two WiFi/Bluetooth drivers (1704 & 1705) are almost always offered. It was only after a call to Dell that I knew for sure which I wanted (when I did this the first time as a Win 8.1 machine).

Other quirks...

(1) Dell Update - the app that supposedly mimics Windows Update to keep drivers automatically up-to-date - did a horrid job for me. Twelve of the 14 drivers at the site were a greater version than the ones I installed back when I was Win 8.1, though Dell Update had installed shortly after that. The other 2 - Dell Airplane Mode Switch & Dell Touchpad Driver - were lesser versions than currently installed. It appears Windows Update did those two. (I've now uninstalled Dell Update. All that while its pretty icon in the Tray kept telling me I was up-to-date!)

(2) If you have the site Detect Drivers - & then go ahead & let the site install them - it will work, but you'll get little/no dialog. I had to go to System Restore & "scan for affected programs" to see what was done. It won't put up the requestors or even ask for a reboot; well, not for the 5 I did that way. (That's all it came up with - 5 - but I took the rest soon after manually.) And a reboot was necessary, as I was informed by Device Manager. It does the ones it can as a group, & asks that you do the one(s) it can't (the BIOS update) afterwards. So - yes, do the Detect Drivers (if offered, I don't see it there today) - but then download & install them individually yourself. Reboot along the way when asked or when done with the last.

(3) Some drivers will end up with a different version in Programs & Features (P&F) & Device Manager (DM). For instance, Intel Management Engine Interface Driver shows as v.11.0.0.1153 at the site & in P&F, but it is v.11.0.0.1146 in DM, under System Devices. (It was like that when Win8.1 too, but with lesser numbers.)

But I do want to say Dell has done well with us - both our computers do have Win 10 drivers at the site. Not everyone is so lucky.

So, I took everything, except Dell Foundation Services. And, of course, I uninstalled Dell Update.

No Events found!