Highlighted
hornetster
Nickel

Fresh install/update to Windows 10 Creator - What key

Have an Inspiron 3268, and just wondering how the licencing works. Currently has Win10 Home, and would like to update to the Creator version - will I need a key, or will it just recognise that it has had Windows 10 on it? For both the upgrade /and/or a full reinstall...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Fresh install/update to Windows 10 Creator - What key

hornetster,

Windows 10 updates all come from microsoft and are automatically updated. There is no key code needed. As far as a full reinstall on the computer you would need to install Windows 10 and then perform all the Windows 10 updates.

If your computer is not set for automatic updates you can go into the settings and update section in Windows 10.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Ruthenium

RE: Fresh install/update to Windows 10 Creator - What key

will I need a key, or will it just recognise that it has had Windows 10 on it? For both the upgrade /and/or a full reinstall...

Once Win 10 is activated on a system, you can do a clean install (no OEM utilities) if you wish.  I just did this on my system for some specific reasons, but I used the Install Media I downloaded using the Media Creation to download the .iso.  Then created a USB bootable drive and copied over the content of the mounted .iso file.  When it asks for a key, skip it.

Win 10 is different from prior OSes since it keeps the Digital License online.  Some of the older rules no longer apply.  But if you want to maintain the OEM software/configuration, you would need to do as suggested.

If you want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro from Home, you will need to do that over the Home version and you would have to pay for the license.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos